Thread: End Caps - Female or Male?

Post Thanks / Like

Default End Caps - Female or Male?

I am probably missing something but why would anybody need male (xConnect) end caps? Your control board starts with female pig tails. If you don't use it put on a female end cap. If you use it connect the male part of your string to the pig tail. On the other side of the string you have a female connector. If you don't need longer wires put a female end cap on. If you need a longer wire connect the male part of another string to it, etc. So at no point do you really need a male end cap. Male end caps are cheap (4x cheaper than female end caps) so it doesn't hurt just buying some but I want to make sure I don't miss anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: End Caps - Female or Male?

So here is the problem with the many wiring connections we have used over the years. If you are doing xConnect and standard wiring, you only need the xconnect female version. That is because the xConnect has the threaded cap on the female side. So you need a threaded plug to seal it. If you do Ray Wu, you have the cap on the male side so you use a simple cap to seal the female side. A plug is slightly more complicated than a cap hence the price differential. It turns out the threading and the size are the same so a female ray wu cap fits on the xconnect male side. But as you said, why would anyone want to do that?

Post Thanks / Like

I use both mail and female for storage. Tape off ends or use balloons for those without caps.
    Note: balloons do not work exposed to sun....indoor is best
    Last edited by mrGrumpy; 06-06-2021 at 11:14 AM.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

@MikeKrebs thanks for the confirmation. @mrGrumpy, using caps on both sides for storage makes sense. I will put the pixels into storage boxes so it's probably less of a concern but I might still do it, i.e. putting caps on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrGrumpy View Post
    I use both mail and female for storage. Tape off ends or use balloons for those without caps.
    Note: balloons do not work exposed to sun....indoor is best
    Yeah. I could not think of a use for the male caps until I read this.
    My 2nd year setting up I found some of my pixels connectors had Mushed and were hard to plug into each other. All I had done was roll
    the cords up and toss into a tote for storage. Lesson learned.
    When I can, I'll plug the male into female for storage.
    The only thing I still have this type of connectors on is my Pixel Floods. I have gone to the automotive style connectors but still plug
    male into female for storage when I can.
    I also use cat5 couplers to store network cables.
    Rayhjr I Love This Stuff!

Post Thanks / Like

@rayhjr how are you doing power injection and floods with the automotive connectors? For power injection there are 3-2-3 connectors and for floods 3-4-3 connectors. If there are easily solutions I might consider that. It just seems it might be quite a bit of extra work and potential failure points which makes me think I rather pay the extra money going with xConnect.

Post Thanks / Like

I make my own pigtails with the automotive connectors. Red black for power and green black for data. It's no easy fix but I like making things for my display. In some places I have a 3 pin male to a 3 pin female with a 2 pin power soldered in to the wires to make my own tee type power injection. Other places It's all 2 pin with data coming from controller and then 2pin power joining in with negative soldered together.

Post Thanks / Like

I too use Automotive connectors. For my floods I used 4 conductor wire coming out of the flood, a 3-2-3 Power Tee, and two 3 pin connectors.
    3-4-3 Tee for Floods - 640.jpg
    I connected the V+ and V- to the flood to the "2" side of the tee, ran the Din and Dout on the outside of the tee, trimmed back the Data line through the tee and connected the 3 pin connectors on either side.
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2019 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2020 - Emergency Conversion to Falcon F48 with limited wireless

Post Thanks / Like

3-2-3.jpg
    Power Injection.jpg
    PI Pixel.jpg
    2, 2pin.jpg

I guess I was not clear earlier but my pixel floods are NOT on automotive connectors. They are the only thing that I still have the plug and twist type connectors on, and use the 3-4-3 tees.

My Mega tree is all 2pin automotive connectors. Some of the strings have factory PI first pixels so I use a Green-Black 2pin for data and a Red- black 2pin for power. The strings that don't have the PI first pixel I still use 2 2pin I just solder both V(-) together.

Other props have 3pin at the start and end and If I need to I can plug in one of my adapters to inject power, or the other adapter to bring in power and Data separate.

You can create any adapter for any use you may need. Even send power from one end of a prop to the other. Whatever you need you can make it. That's the beauty of DIY, Make whatever you need to fit your needs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate it! @rayhjr these are some pretty nice connectors. I see the advantage of doing connectors myself. Having said that, there is so much to do for x-mas stuff (I am just starting out) and so many other things besides x-mas that I think I will just spend a bit more money on getting xConnect connector. To everyone her/his own, I guess.