Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Microchip lead times

Post Thanks / Like

Default Microchip lead times

Does anybody know what's going on there? Most of the mid-range PICs that I've been looking up recently seem to have low inventories at the usual vendors (mouser, digikey and microchip themselves) with 40-52 week lead times.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Microchip lead times

The worldwide shortage of semiconductors is primarily the result of China hoarding chips due to sanctions. Note, domestic China companies would not be impacted by this since they do not sanction themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Would it be hoarding, or is it more likely that fabs are simply not scheduling runs for IC's that they can't sell?
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

I work for a company that is tied tightly to the production of ICs. We have seen a HUGE increase in demand for DRAM driven by the Video card market. It seems the video cards are great platforms for processing cryptocurrency. This has driven demand for DRAM far beyond production capacity. IC Manufacturers have shifted production to DRAM and GPUs. This means less production capacity is available for other forms of devices. Add to this an explosion of demand from the smartphone, AI and auto industry, you get a situation where the fabs just cant keep up. The number of new fabs under construction is amazing but the lead time for new production facilities is multiple years and billions of dollars in investments.

While it is possible that China is hording production capacity, we are seeing every fab running at capacity and new processing systems are being installed at a rate not previously seen.

IMO: Thank Crypto for your problems.

2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Ford is stock piling vehicles due to chip shortages .

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...ge/7175158002/

Post Thanks / Like

But the Microchip PIC processors that I searching are quite old-school, most have been around for quite a few years, and are probably not made on any leading-edge fabs. Are fabs making those old parts capable of swiveling to making DRAM or other newer, high-density products, or were those fabs moth-balled during the Covid pandemonium? I wonder what is really going on.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

The hoarding was unexpected and is causing "side effects" such as automotive shortages, DRAM shortages, etc. Many tech firms in China are concerned the sanctions will widen and affect them. So they went out and purchased everything they could in the supply channel. Overnight, the stock was cleaned out and all the manufacturers were caught off guard. Unfortunately, it will take some time to restock.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm...just like I was thinking of doing with the PIC parts that I'm using. Fortunately, I have as many as I need already from over the years, and the particular parts that I want have various substitutes (even though those substitutes are not always ideal).
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by P. Short View Post
    But the Microchip PIC processors that I searching are quite old-school, most have been around for quite a few years, and are probably not made on any leading-edge fabs. Are fabs making those old parts capable of swiveling to making DRAM or other newer, high-density products, or were those fabs moth-balled during the Covid pandemonium? I wonder what is really going on.
    You would be surprised what we are getting out of those old machines. About a third of the DRAM layers are done on the 20 year old machines

2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, it is quite expensive to upgrade a fab to a new node. However, are are a lot of legacy parts still in demand so I think companies will continue to operate their older fabs for a while.

The new nodes are incredible though. 5nm is coming. It is amazing what you can do the a square mm of silicon now. And you can fit 70k of those on a single wafer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast