Thread: AC lights Sequence

Post Thanks / Like

Default AC lights Sequence

I am just starting out in this and have lots of AC lights already and have now added several Renard SS24 controllers will be using this year. I know majority here seam to be using pixels but that will be next year to start mixing pixels into the show. Does anyone have an example sequence for AC only lights that someone would be willing to share? I was going to go vixen first but have been convinced to just dive and go xlights with the plan to add pixels next year.

Xlights and AC lights just isn't as intuitive as vixen it seems but again being new I'm sure that will change as I get more into this.

Thank

Brett

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: AC lights Sequence

Hi Brett,

I started with a fully AC show several years ago using Vixen 2.1. That system was based on turning each channel on/off/dimming by a set time frame. As I started adding pixel props I moved to XLights to more easily control the Pixels. While it is not an AC only sequence, it does have a lot of AC channels in use. I would be happy to share how I set up the system to fairly easily handle the AC Channels with XLights, honestly, it is not that different from how I did it with Vixen 2, but this system gives me more flexibility with the timing to easily vary the length of time each channel is turned on and how I can vary the dimming. Check out the sequence and feel free to ask me for more info.
    Last edited by TomL8345; 04-21-2021 at 02:15 PM.
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2019 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2020 - Emergency Conversion to Falcon F48 with limited wireless

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks I'll take a look at your example. I think the big difference I see between the two vixen and xlights is vixen lets you know what things will work with AC directly where in xlights I feel like it a lot of trial and error. Like vixen has some effects for AC lights defined and it seems some on xlights will work with AC but not sure which ones. Thanks for the info I'll let you know if I have any questions as I dive in.

Post Thanks / Like

There is an AC Lights toolbar in xLights that presents a lot of the stuff you find in other sequencers. It is found under "View". Several videos are available showing how to use it.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks I have seen that but don't like how they implemented it cause it forces auto to the timing bars vs being able to drag and drop like others but I'll play with it some more and see what happens. Again I am new to this so learning on the fly right now and there is way more info around pixel then AC I am finding. I'll get to pixel's I'm sure but still like the old school AC for some stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

In xlights I've ONLY ever used the AC Lights Toolbar. I'm not sure any of the other effects work on AC lights correctly.

It's a little weird at 1st but it gets pretty intuitive. I create separate views, and typically keep the AC separate from the pixels.

I'm not sure about the drag and drop, but with AC lights I typically am using copy/paste (or even saved presets), and that works great.
    2012 - 12 Channels and an Arduino

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I NEVER use the AC toolbar in xLights. That might be because it was not available when I started with xLights and I have never toyed with it much. I find I typically use the ON, and Single Strand effects the most with my AC lights. Within each of these you have the dimming, fades, and other transitions that I typically used in the older software. Single Strand is great for chases on my AC megatrees. I also use the Value Curves for the brightness to great effect.
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2019 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2020 - Emergency Conversion to Falcon F48 with limited wireless