Thread: Using Player (Standalone) with USB Stick

Post Thanks / Like

Default Using Player (Standalone) with USB Stick

Is there any way to slave a sequence from a FPP set to Player (standalone) using a locally installed USB with the .fseq files?

My fseq file is 4.5 Gb and takes forever downloading over the lan. I have 3 matrix controllers and being able to update multiple usb sticks and plug them into the Pi 4's (with usb 3) would be terrific.

Thanks for your help.

All the best,

Doug

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Using Player (Standalone) with USB Stick

Don't see where you can have 2 file locations, but you can use either the microSD or a USB drive for storage
    Insert USB, go to FPP Settings, then Storage. Select USB device. If not shown, try a reboot.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Tried a full sd format and install of FPP onto a new microsd. Under the Storage Tab, I selected the USB Stick that I had plugged into my Pi 4. Then, all of the FPP sub directories were written onto the USB Stick.

I then Uploaded a couple of sequence files. They were not found on the USB Stick in any of the directories. Via Windows, I wrote fseq files onto the USB Stick "Sequences" Directory and rebooted the Pi. The new files were not displayed in the Sequences Tab.

I have just ordered a couple of 200GB MicroSD cards (120MB/s write speed) and will upload my sequence files over Lan using the File Manager.

Thanks for the help, but I think the path of least resistance is via microsd cards not using USB Sticks.

All the best,

Doug

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried using compressed fseq files
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Why is your fseq file 4.5GB in size? I've never seen one that large. Even the massive drive through shows with ~2M channels and a long sequence only hits about 2GB.

That said, you should be using FPP Connect which would regenerate the fseq files for each of the matrices so they only get the channels they need instead of the entire fseq file. Generally much smaller and quicker to transfer.
    Dan Kulp

Post Thanks / Like

Dan,

I am outputting from xscheduler to 3 Video Matrix Displays (2 - 43" and 1 Projector) using (3) Pi 4s in Player Remote mode.

The Matrix Displays show our Family Caricatures that sing with the lyrics.

Here is a link to the recorded hdmi video that was output from the Pi:
    https://vimeo.com/530992374/f9253c1450

Each Matrix Display is 480x270 which is a quarter size of 1080P. Each 1080P monitor and projector upscale the Pi output and the results are impressive.

The problem is the generated fseq files are large. The Time Warp fseq file that generated the video above (and controlled multiple lights) is 2,290,191 kb. My Queen Mashup is 4.5 GB.

Thank you for the FPP Connect insight!! I am starting to research that now.

All the best,

Doug