Thread: Basic Power Protection - newbie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Basic Power Protection - newbie

Hi guys,

Really enjoying this forum and learning so much but very much a newbie here. I've built a couple controllers and have my first pixels and strip up and running and have create a couple shows in xlights. Now I'd like to bring my DC props into the mix but am not ready to give up being able to very easily control them via many and various ways via smarthome IoT. I know there are options using MQTT but I already have many things wired and in place and am wondering if I could leave these devices hooked up to the DC power sources that they already run via IoT and simply ADD an additional pixel2things/espixelstick and power source or e1.31 control. To do that I'd need to understand a little more about power protection/isolation I think.. and you are about to see my very first schematic (so please go easy).

Given the poorly and possibly improperly drawn schematic below which is supposed to depict a DC motor and two distinct 5v DC power sources, how can I protect each of the power sources in the extremely rare event both get power at the same time? Could I simply add inline diodes to stop any reverse flow?

schem1.png

Here are some of the devices (IoT controlled) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_PKdBSXT-g
    ...and my first xlights show (I have since learned how to use timing bars) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OhazVRG59c

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Basic Power Protection - newbie

Optocouplers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1pet2_9 View Post
    Optocouplers.
    What are you talking about? That's nonsense.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by asago View Post
    Hi guys,

Really enjoying this forum and learning so much but very much a newbie here. I've built a couple controllers and have my first pixels and strip up and running and have create a couple shows in xlights. Now I'd like to bring my DC props into the mix but am not ready to give up being able to very easily control them via many and various ways via smarthome IoT. I know there are options using MQTT but I already have many things wired and in place and am wondering if I could leave these devices hooked up to the DC power sources that they already run via IoT and simply ADD an additional pixel2things/espixelstick and power source or e1.31 control. To do that I'd need to understand a little more about power protection/isolation I think.. and you are about to see my very first schematic (so please go easy).

Given the poorly and possibly improperly drawn schematic below which is supposed to depict a DC motor and two distinct 5v DC power sources, how can I protect each of the power sources in the extremely rare event both get power at the same time? Could I simply add inline diodes to stop any reverse flow?

schem1.png

Here are some of the devices (IoT controlled) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_PKdBSXT-g
    ...and my first xlights show (I have since learned how to use timing bars) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OhazVRG59c
    I think that two in-line diodes (one between each of the power supply +5 outputs and the motor) would be the easiest option.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by P. Short View Post
    I think that two in-line diodes (one between each of the power supply +5 outputs and the motor) would be the easiest option.
    Thank you! I was thinking perhaps it might be that simple...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by P. Short View Post
    What are you talking about? That's nonsense.

By optocouplers, I meant optocouplers. I don't speak in secret code.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe not secret code, but nonsense anyway. The original question was about power isolation - ensuring that there wouldn't be any problems if the outputs of the two supplies were at different voltages (or, indeed, that one was turned off), and optocouplers would have little, if any, role in addressing that issue.
    Phil