Thread: RGBW pixels

Post Thanks / Like

Default RGBW pixels

Just wondering how to setup RGBW pixel in Vixen. When I set colour handling to RGBW I can only use red, green and blue separately. I don't own any RGBW pixels to test just wondering and WLED for the future.

Also how do I fade a single(any) colour up and down in brightness alone ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: RGBW pixels

Thanking about my own post again, I assume WLED would sort out the RGB and white rather than Vixen. Sending full RGB (255,255,255) the WLED would turn on the white led rather than all three RGB LED's ??

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't see RGB controllers that convert the RGB values to a fourth value for the white. It would be hard conversion unless you only did XXX values (when they were all the same) but then you could never turn on white with the RGB.

I just looked in my recent development version of Vixen and didn't see rbgw support.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by myozone View Post
    Thanking about my own post again, I assume WLED would sort out the RGB and white rather than Vixen. Sending full RGB (255,255,255) the WLED would turn on the white led rather than all three RGB LED's ??
    I recently added RGB strips to my old white window frames, to add the the ability to change colors. I drive the new RBG's with a RP RGB24 strip controller driving the RGB portion and a Ren64+SSR to drive the White. I have the white circuit in there because the combination of all three (255,255,255) does not produce a clean white light. It has a purplish/blue tinge to it.

My set up is as follows (see RGBW-Setup.jpg)
    Window1-->Color Breakdown-->Output1 (Ren+ RGB24)
    \\\-->Output2 (Ren+ RGB24)
    \\-->Output3 (Ren+ RGB24)
    \-->Output25 (Ren64 with SSR)
    Window2-->Color Breakdown-->Output4 (Ren+ RGB24)
    \\\-->Output5 (Ren+ RGB24)
    \\-->Output6 (Ren+ RGB24)
    \-->Output26 (Ren64 with SSR))

If you are not running the 4th circuit for "W" you will have to set the "Multiple Independent Color" (see RGBW-Setup.jpg) in your display setup to just RGB and turn on the three colors at the same time (RGBSetup2.JPG) in the sequencing screen to produce and "off white".

If your RGBWs are like the RGBW3.JPG picture, with a separate circuit for Red, Green, Blue and White, then your display setup would be similar to mine, having four channels to drive one RGBW strip. Your then select the discrete color while sequencing.

-Tony
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ChiefWarrant; 04-15-2021 at 03:52 AM. Reason: Added informaiton
    Tony
    Live since 2007
    Putting the Yule back into Yuletide

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefWarrant View Post
    I recently added RGB strips to my old white window frames, to add the the ability to change colors. I drive the new RBG's with a RP RGB24 strip controller driving the RGB portion and a Ren64+SSR to drive the White. I have the white circuit in there because the combination of all three (255,255,255) does not produce a clean white light. It has a purplish/blue tinge to it.

My set up is as follows (see RGBW-Setup.jpg)
    Window1-->Color Breakdown-->Output1 (Ren+ RGB24)
    \\\-->Output2 (Ren+ RGB24)
    \\-->Output3 (Ren+ RGB24)
    \-->Output25 (Ren64 with SSR)
    Window2-->Color Breakdown-->Output4 (Ren+ RGB24)
    \\\-->Output5 (Ren+ RGB24)
    \\-->Output6 (Ren+ RGB24)
    \-->Output26 (Ren64 with SSR))

If you are not running the 4th circuit for "W" you will have to set the "Multiple Independent Color" (see RGBW-Setup.jpg) in your display setup to just RGB and turn on the three colors at the same time (RGBSetup2.JPG) in the sequencing screen to produce and "off white".

If your RGBWs are like the RGBW3.JPG picture, with a separate circuit for Red, Green, Blue and White, then your display setup would be similar to mine, having four channels to drive one RGBW strip. Your then select the discrete color while sequencing.

-Tony
    I do not see that you include WLED in this reply and am curious if this would negate the user settings in WLED for RGBW pixels.
    The latest firmware for WLED allows users to select from multiple options as to how white is processed.
    It will be interesting to hear from users that have tested this.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies, I was thinking more towards TM1814 and SK6812 driven RGBW pixels.
    I'll look into WLED and see how it interprets white from RGB, it could get quite complex with colour temperatures and mixing.