Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FPP vs. python-fseq package

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: FPP vs. python-fseq package

FPP can be installed onto a vanilla Debian based system and pretty much leave the system alone. However, it's not really like an apt-get install kind of thing as there are a lot of complexities involved with it. Also, it will create an fpp user (and home dir) as it pretty much requires that location for all of its storage.

On the beagles, it does use a custom built kernel as we need to disable some devices on one of the internal am335x interconnects that cause unpredictable delays when writing to some of the GPIO pins. With ws281x being very timing dependent, the delays cause a bunch of issues. Also on the beagles, there is a custom device-tree added at boot to reserve some memory used to send pixel data from the main ARM cpu to the PRU's. Those are all beagle specific though.

For the most part, FPP can output e1.31 or ArtNet data to anything that can accept e1.31 or ArtNet packets (or DDP if you want higher efficiency). If your custom controllers can accept either of those protocols, FPP should just work with it. FPP can also output data via serial ports if they need to connect that way.
    Dan Kulp

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all, thank you Dan.

Sounds like the free FPP download is the way to go. If I follow the regular instructions (with downloading the .img, et. al.), will I still be able to set up a vncserver on the Pi and remote login to it? Or at least Putty?

That EspPixelStick download for DDP is free and could be adapted for any ESPx, right?

Looking forward to the FPP V4, but unless something sticks out or I get lucky in a drawing, I will probably be sticking with my tried-and-true way of plugging WS281x into some starter board's GPIO.

A lot of this DIY, to me, is like using a calculator in math class: they don't let you use one in arithmetic class, but when you get to algebra, they let you. I don't want to skip right to the calculator and miss out on learning the fundamental arithmetic. If you're going to do something different that stands out, you need to know that stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1pet2_9 View Post
    Is it true open source, or does it just support API's, plugins, etc.?

I'm curious about using an .img to install (as opposed to just being able to yum or rpm install FPP). Is FPP working in the kernel (and disabling keyboard events, for example)? Can FPP be grubbed with Raspbian OS on the same Pi? Or do I pretty much have to switch out SD cards when Christmas is over?

The sync packets thing is nice. I would NOT want to reinvent that.
    You can take a look on github. And falconchristmas.com is the home of the FPP forum. Some of your qyestions would be better asked there. Spend a couple of hours looking it over. If you have an extra sd card, you can download and have it running in about 2 hours. There is a useful (but not fully complete) manual and wiki you could peruse. Watch one of the fpp videos from the summit or the dozens of fpp videos done by individuals.

Nothing is specifically disabled. More like things are enabled. For example, most of us never attach a keyboard or display as headless is fully enabled. you also have full command line access. Need to add your own driver? No problem; download it and run the script. You should take it for a spin. It sounds like you even have the experience to offer some positive suggestions to the developers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12