Thread: Multiple controller outputs to control Tree

Post Thanks / Like

Default Multiple controller outputs to control Tree

At the moment I'm running a wemos D1 Mini to control my mega tree using 1184 nodes.
    I'm using the ESPixelStick software on the D1 Mini.

The problem I had with this last year was a slight lag due to the amount of nodes.
    WLED is about to drop version 0.12.0 (I've played with the BETA) and it now has the facility to control multiple pins from one board.

I'm going to experiment with it to see if the lag will disappear (and share those results here).

My question is a simple one - how do I configure the megatree tree model in Xlights to reflect multiple controller inputs?

I'm presuming it's the same concept as those people running multiple controller outputs on Falcon etc.

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Multiple controller outputs to control Tree

I have it sorted now. Number of strings = number of connections to the controller.

So I'll split it into 3 segments.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Your lag issue will do nothing but get worse. The problem is inherent in using WiFi to move sequencing data from the player to your controllers. Many controllers (including ESPixelStick V4 which runs on V3 hardware) have added the ability to play a sequence from a local SD card. This SIGNIFICANTLY reduces the data load on the WiFi to a single message every few frames. Code is in alpha testing at the moment.

FYI: The ESPixelStick V3 and V4 implementations are configurable by xLights.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that. The lag is only on my Megatree and Matrix, both run over 1000 nodes. Everything else in the display didn't lag (The whole display is on D1 Minis).

Post Thanks / Like

Let us know how it works out. Multiple outputs on the esp devices sounds interesting. If the implementation is serial, the lag should be about the same but if they managed a parallel implementation, it could be better.

Post Thanks / Like

I also use all wireless, a mix of D1 Minis and ESP-01s. For my small 800 pixel MEGA tree (soon to be 1200) I use two separate controllers so that I can get 40FPS. Most lag has been attributed to poor reception on the controller side. I have been able to improve the reception so that no lag is noticeable by positioning the D1 Mini or ESP-01 for best reception.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

My D1's are all within 3m of the router and the tree and matrix only lag on fast patterns. I figure they both struggle to run that amount of data from one pin. So I thought it would be worth a try to see if it works.

If not, I'll slit each into two D1 minis or even ESP32 since they have more processing power and sram.
    Last edited by townshend lights; 03-31-2021 at 03:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

It is not just processing power. The way the SW is implemented matters a lot. I know some implementations use the "FastLed" library that does bit banging (Slowest possible implementation). The ESPixelStick software uses the UART hardware to generate the data stream which is a fairly fast mechanism.

With that said. your problem is still most likely the WiFi configuration. Distance to the AP does matter but once you are within 30', getting closer can actually make things worse. You need to look at how your routers broadcast/multicast is configured and you need to make sure you are NOT using unicast to your ESPs.

FYI: ESPixelStick V4 (Unify) software running on an ESP32 uses two ports and can easily drive 600 pixels/port at 25ms/frame. However doing this puts a significant load on the AP so this version of SW also support an SD card (look at the V3 hardware or the LoLin PRO) so that the only traffic on the WiFi is an FPP sync packet.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q