Thread: looking for walk thru to make pictures for matrix/megatree

Post Thanks / Like

Default looking for walk thru to make pictures for matrix/megatree

I am hoping someone will help with a step-by-step walk thru on how to convert pictures to put on a matrix (or in my case a megatree) What programs are used etc.

Thanks

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: looking for walk thru to make pictures for matrix/megatree

Download Piskel: https://www.piskelapp.com/
    Set the size of the canvas to size of your matrix and you can create frame by frame animations.
    Very easy to use and will get best results if done at resolution of prop instead of scaling it to fit.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Thank-you

Post Thanks / Like

For simple remaps, I like using paint.net. It is is easy to learn and does an okay job. The problem is that a 16x50 picture usually looks nothing like a hires picture.

Open a picture. Say something like this one.
    happy-cartoon-santa-illustration-jpeg-8x8.jpg
    Let's crop it so only Santa is in the picture.
    Click on the move pixels tool and then the cursor changes to four arrows and I move the image until the top and left side are touching the top and left of the canvas. I went so far to eliminate the the black pixels on the side and top as they don't add to the finished product.
    After you have it moved, press Esc to drop the move.
    Now hover over the right side and bottom of the image and find the pixels location that bounds the Santa. The cursor location is shown under the picture in paint.net.
    To crop off the right side and bottom, I found I wanted 530 right side and 775 bottom side.
    So, to do that, we change the canvas size.
    Click on the menu item Image and then Canvas size. Type in the new canvas size and press Enter.
    The next thing I did with this image was resize to fit a multiple of 16x50 (my matrix size). I took 775 and divided by 50 and got 15.5. Multiplied by 16 to 248. So now I narrowed Santa to 248. Menu item Image and Resize. Uncheck maintain aspect ratio. Put in 248 for width and hit Enter.
    I was satisfied with that picture even though Santa got considerably narrower.
    Next step is now to resize to my tree.
    So back to Image/resize and uncheck maintain aspect ratio and put in 16 for width and 50 for height. This is where it goes bad. It actually doesn't look bad small and if this was an icon, I would be happy.
    Blow up the image (I use Ctrl +) and you can see it doesn't look so good. Throw in the distance to viewer and it will be just a blur on a mega tree.
    So, at this point, I would do pixel color manipulation to try to bring back some semblance of a Santa. For example, I add back some eyes and this is what I use.
    happy-cartoon-santa-illustration-jpeg-16x50.jpg
    BTW, this image appears to a royalty free image from dreamstime.com but I just copied it from google. The large picture has some watermarking that indicates something along those lines.

Something to think about, you don't have to make every graphic you use the size of your matrix. If it is a static shot, you can do that to get best quality, but if you are moving it around showing parts of it at a time or flying across the matrix, you could use other sizes.

One final thing. This Santa has a white background but if you were going to fly it across the matrix, you might want to eliminate the white. In paint.net, you would use the magic wand to select the white part and then press delete and the white background will disappear. You might need to select several areas to get them all depending on how the image is constructed. The alternative to the selection tool is to use the eraser tool and erase the parts you don't want to see.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank-you MikeKrebs. I will try your method as well.

However, because he posted first, I have started with Dr.Neutron's suggestion.
    I have followed some youtube videos and made 2 drawings. What i am wondering is what to save them as from Piskel ? And once saved, how do I bring them into Vixen??

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcer960 View Post
    Thank-you MikeKrebs. I will try your method as well.

However, because he posted first, I have started with Dr.Neutron's suggestion.
    I have followed some youtube videos and made 2 drawings. What i am wondering is what to save them as from Piskel ? And once saved, how do I bring them into Vixen??

Ray
    I can't speak for vixen, but I save them as .jpg files for use with the picture effect in xlights.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrNeutron View Post
    I can't speak for vixen, but I save them as .jpg files for use with the picture effect in xlights.
    I cannot find a way to save them as a .jpg on;ly options are a gif png or zip