Thread: Going from 3.1 to 3.4 using Olsen 595

Post Thanks / Like

Default Going from 3.1 to 3.4 using Olsen 595

Greetings! For a few years I have been running my display using v3.1u2 and Olsen 595s but it has been troublesome. It will refuse to start or crash in the middle of a run. This year I upgraded the computer running it all the a beast of a server and am still having the same problems. So, for next year I have been looking to upgrade my software to 3.4, which has Olsen 595 listed in the controller list but I cannot find the place for the port settings. I know that I should probably update my hardware but I am invested the the Olsens and the related devices. Any help would be great.
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Going from 3.1 to 3.4 using Olsen 595

Iíve never configured an Olsen and I think we dropped that controller type. But all controller specific settings and con port stuff is in the controller configuration form.
    Right click on the controller and select configuration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your reply! I clicked of that in the "Setup Display" and it does nothing. In the previous version, it was in the "System Configuration" menu but there is nothing there. It seems like the item is there but none of the underlying software. If this is the case then I will need to upgrade my equipment but would like to see if there is a way to avoid that.
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at the code there should be a simple form to set the port address, but the setup dialog is not enabled. I am guessing during some refactoring or changes in the early days that was broke somehow. The last time that bit of code was touched was 2013. We quit including that controller in the formal distribution a while back. There is only one setting and that is the port address. You can manually set it in the ModuleStore.xml file in the SystemData folder of the profile. Search for Olsen595.Data and find the xml tag for port a couple lines below that and enter the proper value. Make sure you take backups before editing as mangling that file can break your setup.

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff & Jon, thank you so much for your assistance. I will try and see if I can get it setup. I love Vixen and thank you so much for creating and maintaining such a wonderful program. I know I should up date my stuff but can't afford to do that now. Someday I will be\ut for now I will work with what I have.
    Merry Christmas to you and a happy New Year!

Post Thanks / Like

I think (Jeff might correct me) that you can actually grab the DLLs specific to that controller from the older versions of V3 where it did work and drop them into the corresponding folder on the newer releases and it should work. We dropped them from the current releases just to simplify code maintenance as we keep the whole project up to date. But if they still work on the current version of windows and .net libraries, they should still work in the Vixen application.

Central (like the actual center) PA , USA
    Post Thanks / Like

The 595s required a parallel port to operate. Do you still have a computer with an operational parallel port??
    Tony M.
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary, those that don't and some who know Gray encoding.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Tony and thanks for asking. I have a great beast of a server that has a parallel port and I have a parallel card in it also, so I have two 595s running. I am having some crashing issues so I want to upgrade the software.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    I think (Jeff might correct me) that you can actually grab the DLLs specific to that controller from the older versions of V3 where it did work and drop them into the corresponding folder on the newer releases and it should work. We dropped them from the current releases just to simplify code maintenance as we keep the whole project up to date. But if they still work on the current version of windows and .net libraries, they should still work in the Vixen application.
    That older version had some changes made so if you really want to come forward to the most stable version, I can fix that bug and build a version of the dll you can drop in yourself. The bug is a one line fix so it is no big deal. Just let me know.

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff, that would be great! Thank you so much for your willingness to do it!