Thread: Vixen Scheduler Network Output Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vixen Scheduler Network Output Question

I want to know if when using the scheduler in Vixen if it takes control of the computers ethernet port as soon as you launch the scheduler.

What I was thinking is that if I wanted to use Vixen and xLights schedulers at different times on the same night from my laptop instead of relying on Pi/FPP. I will want to run sequences from both software platforms.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vixen Scheduler Network Output Question

It doesn't ever take control of the port. It's just sending out data like any other program does.

But where i think you're going with the question is when Vixen starts sending data. It starts sending data as soon as the program is opened and the controllers are enabled. It has nothing to do with whether the scheduler is running or if sequences are playing.

You're not going to be able to accomplish what you're hoping for without manually opening and closing each program. If you want to mix sequences from both, your best bet is to use just one scheduler. FPP is generally the recommended solution. But I think xSchedule should be able to schedule and play any fseq file. So in theory, you should be able to schedule your vixen exported fseq files there.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jon. I suspected as much with Vixen. I had not looked into xLights Scheduler yet. I am looking for an alternative to Pi/FPP, so maybe xSchedule will be the ticket. More research to do now.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Why do you want to get away from FPP? It's the best show player I know of. You're going to be hard pressed to find a better solution than FPP.

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to be able to run the show from my laptop so I can see what is going on better. Seems like whenever I log into FPP while the show is running there are a lot of hiccups. Even when I log in before the show starts i can get some erratic lights on some of the ESPs that require resetting.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kev View Post
    I would like to be able to run the show from my laptop so I can see what is going on better. Seems like whenever I log into FPP while the show is running there are a lot of hiccups. Even when I log in before the show starts i can get some erratic lights on some of the ESPs that require resetting.
    Sounds like something is not right at all with your setup/network. That should not be the case at all with FPP. I log into them all the time whether the show is running or not, and there's never any network issues from it. In fact, I usually have one PC in the garage with the browser always open to the FPP. The Pi is just another computer. It's just optimized specifically for that one application.