Thread: Color Handling on Simple String Elements Issue

Post Thanks / Like

Default Color Handling on Simple String Elements Issue

I have groups of elements which are simple LED light strings.
    ColorHandle01.jpg

Under Display setup I assign red (Rudolph) and green (tree) color handling.
    ColorHandle02.jpg

When I go to the sequencer and assign levels the color handling is wrong. The trees should be green but they are not. I've unpatched elements and controller outputs a couple of time and it is still the same
    ColorHandle03.jpg

With some group/elements I was able to fix this by deleting the color handling and reassigning. On this one I can't seem to fix it.
    http://www.vixenlights.com/wp-conten...te-300x107.png
    144 Renard SS Channels and Counting

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Color Handling on Simple String Elements Issue

In display setup select the element you want to change. Below it in the properties area there should be a property called Color. Double click it and check the setting there. It should be single color and have the same green you have in the color breakdown. There are two aspects to color handling. The preferred color setup of the element and the breakdown which distributes it to the patching. The Color property determines what color the sequencer thinks the element is. The breakdown manages the patching part. When you add color handling through the wizard it configures both of these the same, but if you edit them independently they can get out of sync. I suspect that is what may have happened to you here.

As an additional note, you don't really even need the color breakdown for single color items. You can patch them direct, or through a dimming curve. The breakdown comes into play if you have an element that can handle multiple colors and the breakdown sorts those colors out to the proper patching path. For single colors all you need is the color property set to appease your eyes in the sequencer. But the breakdown does no harm in your case.

Post Thanks / Like

Does it hurt to have a color breakdown?

I've been using color break down as a filter so that I can use the special effects twinkle, sweep etc. at the group level. That way only the selected color string(s) at the string level turn on.

ColorHandle01.jpg

Without the color breakdown I would have to sequence each individual string right ?
    http://www.vixenlights.com/wp-conten...te-300x107.png
    144 Renard SS Channels and Counting

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on the type of filter. If you use a filter that only drives a single channel, then all is good. If you set up a filter that outputs 3 channels of data then you need to patch it to three channels on your controller. It that is not a problem, then all is good.

2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q