Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soffit Mounting

Post Thanks / Like

Default Soffit Mounting

Hey guys,

Attached is a picture of the trim I am going to use to mount my pixels on my shed. Would you suggest mounting them like in the picture right up against the shed or would it make more sense to bring them out to the edge of the soffit like where the question mark is?

I will drill holes every 2-3 inches in the trim and the pixels will be pointing down. I think I am wanting the more “washed” lighting look because I am about 1500ft off the road and I am not sure people will be able to make out any detailed lighting effects.

Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks
    Jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Soffit Mounting

No need to drill holes....
    You could design a clip that snaps in between the soffit and hold a piece of coduit. Easy to take down and put up.
    I made one a while ago to fit mine and it worked great.
    clip.PNG
    Print in PETG and it is flexible to just bend into place and hold weight fine.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Vinyl J-Channel could work, and no holes needed. I am planning on using the design found in this thread by uzelessknowledge:

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...s2811-mounting

You could use it in either of the two scenarios you show.

-pc

Post Thanks / Like

I would go back against the wall at that distance. IMO, You got it figured out correctly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by puppycrack View Post
    Vinyl J-Channel could work, and no holes needed. I am planning on using the design found in this thread by uzelessknowledge:

-pc
    That would be strip mounted to the j-channel. Some people have luck with strip...a few hate it for the obvious problem of fixing it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrNeutron View Post
    No need to drill holes....
    You could design a clip that snaps in between the soffit and hold a piece of coduit. Easy to take down and put up.
    I made one a while ago to fit mine and it worked great.
    clip.PNG
    Print in PETG and it is flexible to just bend into place and hold weight fine.
    Thought of something similar but I am going for more of a permanent install, similar to like jellyfish lighting.

Jake

Post Thanks / Like

Default Soffit Mounting

Quote Originally Posted by puppycrack View Post

-pc
    I already have my pixels bought and I tried a standard piece of J channel which was to shallow to cover the wiring if I wanted to direct my lights down. The piece I had bent up is basically J channel with a 1.5”x1.5” channel for the wiring and lights. I am able to pick the color that best matches my soffit color as well. 10.6’ was $17. The price would go down if I had multiple pieces made.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeKrebs View Post
    I would go back against the wall at that distance. IMO, You got it figured out correctly.
    The reassurance is helpful. I think having it closer to the building will give me more of the wash look I am looking for. I plan to use it as perimeter lighting when there are no present holidays.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeKrebs View Post
    That would be strip mounted to the j-channel. Some people have luck with strip...a few hate it for the obvious problem of fixing it.
    He actually used bullet pixels in the J Channel, drilling for each one. I prefer square though, as they sit a little flatter and gives more room for wiring / connectors.

Post Thanks / Like

For my permanent mounting on my house. I used J-Channel and drilled holes - 3" spacing. Bullets for the pixels and mounted the channel back, under the soffit. I wanted it that way to help protect the pixels from weather and sunlight. The lights look good, the angle works well from the street. For mounting, I slid the j-channel in the soffit and drove about 3 to 4 screws per piece to hold it in. Cover picture shows you what my house looks like. mounts are under house and garage rooflines.

https://www.facebook.com/HughesDigitalChristmas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast