Thread: Megatree attached to house?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Megatree attached to house?

DB0D5B9C-5656-4836-B640-47C71B637270.jpegHas anyone built the mega tree against their house? I was trying to envision some sort of angled bracket drilled into my brick exterior that would hold up the topper.

I think this season might only be a megatree as I transition from dumb to pixels. Just seeing if anyone has done something like this before.

Edit: terrible photo, but just giving an idea of where it would go.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Megatree attached to house?

Quite a few over the years have attached a flat-tree "mega tree" to their house. Others have done a 180 degree tree. Very doable.
    You might even consider those that attached radio towers to the side of their house and then winched the lights to the top.

My personal choice is the flat tree against the house. It doesn't lay along the side of the house, but sort of leans into it.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't tell if the window is operable but you could make a hold down point through the window using multiple small strings (think very hi test braided fishing line) or even a piece of cloth hung out the window. I think it was forkineye that showed a technique where he closed a window onto a piece of cloth that had dowels on either side and secured the prop to the inner or outer one.

With the "tie down" from the strings to the ground, you really only need to use enough force to prevent it from falling over straight away from the house and having direct attachment near the top would not need much to hold it in place. Of course, if you are willing to drill a bracket into something up there, that would be very secure.

Post Thanks / Like

Your image did not come through earlier. (Problem on my end.)
    With that setup, it begs for a flat tree with the top held in close to the window, and the bottoms just inside your sidewalk (on the house side). The advice given in post #3 (MikeKrebs) is very interesting and would work very well.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

We tried to attach our mega tree the first year to the house. It stayed up until January. We got some snow and ice, followed by winds - at that point the weight was too much and it came down. Since then we’ve used the pole method. Over the years any problems we’ve had has not involved the house only some poles that were easily replaced. But then again I’m in Boston and winters are brutal. Good luck and post pics. Would love to see what you will create.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lightningfastford7 View Post
    DB0D5B9C-5656-4836-B640-47C71B637270.jpegHas anyone built the mega tree against their house? I was trying to envision some sort of angled bracket drilled into my brick exterior that would hold up the topper.

I think this season might only be a megatree as I transition from dumb to pixels. Just seeing if anyone has done something like this before.

Edit: terrible photo, but just giving an idea of where it would go.
    Mine has been a 1.25" emt connected to an "antenna mast support" at the peak of a gable end of the roof over my porch

Also I am local if you need any help with anything
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies! The artist in me likes the 180 degree just to give it a little depth, but I might have to look into a flat tree as well.
    Thanks Matt! I’m definitely going to keep you in mind. The only pixels I’ve dealt with were for my daughter’s Marshmello helmet, so this is all fairly new territory.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a 180-degree tree attached to the house for the first two years of my display before graduating to a 360-degree free-standing tree. It was a great way to start since it was a lot less work.

Post Thanks / Like

As far as the utility of a flat tree, we still use one (at 16' tall) in our park show. It is amazing how nice it looks, even though it is not "round". There are also advantages when putting low-level graphics on it. Viewing angles are pretty much 170 degrees, with the caveat that it looks "thinner" from the side.

To balance that statement out - we have 7 (ea) 180 degree trees in the same area. All look great, but the flat tree really stands out.

Just thought you would like to know.
    Live, Laugh, Love.