Thread: Waterproof "T" Splice options

Post Thanks / Like

Default Waterproof "T" Splice options

Does anyone have a preferred method for making waterproof (or at least highly water resistant) 3 wire "T" type splices? There are plenty of inexpensive waterproof 2 wire splice options, but 3+ wire options look to be either expensive or hackish. I'm fine with getting creative on low voltage wires, but don't want to have 20 of these fail in the first big rain/snow.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Waterproof "T" Splice options

Disclaimer: I don't have any experience with this at all. I did plenty of (indoor) wires myself but unless the price is of "standard" wire is prohibitive I would just purchase the wire connections. Think of the time you spend on wires vs. spending time on creating your displays. I rather spend my time on the display. Granted, if you have an issue and you have all the tools to create a new connection you are better of. But would you have gotten into that situation in the first place if you purchased a commercial product? I am betting on the commercial product. I might be changing my mind next season...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Waterproof "T" Splice options

If you want to make your own, adhesive shrink tube around all the soldered connections, then a second adhesive tube around the whole thing. Some may consider it over-kill, but it works and has worked for years.

I do agree with the pre-made for time as cost-versus-purchase, but then again - I'm one of those that makes most of our stuff rather than purchase.
    Live, Laugh, Love.