Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Complexity

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Complexity

This 'old-timer' feels insulted by the tone of the first paragraphs in Keith's most recent post in this thread.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

"we would still be banging two rocks together" - only if one is flint and the other steel. More sparks that way.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by P. Short View Post
    This 'old-timer' feels insulted by the tone of the first paragraphs in Keith's most recent post in this thread.
    yep....I felt that too.
    James Family Christmas - 1600 channels of SS Renard channels
    Facebook - James Family Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be...

http://digwdf.org/store/
    Even though the DIGWDF Store has been closed for two years, it's still awesome!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I fall into that old-guy group as well. I remember blowing up my first triac back in 1975 trying to build a light panel for a nightclub. It was one of those 10A Stud designs. Put a hole through the ceiling when it went off.

2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

There's nothing wrong with being an "Old Guy" and using the systems and methods that have worked for you in the past. There is also nothing wrong with using more of the latest technology that has come along in the last few years. My contention is it is NOT the media (controllers, lights, and software) you are using, rather your thought process and effort that makes the show stand out from the "Cookie Cutter" displays. I use XLights, and a mix of pixels and AC strings in my display, but it the way I sequence and treat each prop and the display as a whole that gives my show that more traditional feel, but that is the way I want it.

Alternatively, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the "Canned Sequences" and off the shelf props if it brings happiness and joy to the neighborhood. After all, there is no RIGHT or WRONG way to participate in this hobby, just the way that suits the user. We can all have our personal opinions about another's show, but you know what they say about opinions...(and some of them stink!)
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2019 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2020 - Emergency Conversion to Falcon F48 with limited wireless

Post Thanks / Like

But... but.... but.... Tom..... why can't everyone be reasonable.... and just do it MY way?!?!?!?

http://digwdf.org/store/
    Even though the DIGWDF Store has been closed for two years, it's still awesome!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    But... but.... but.... Tom..... why can't everyone be reasonable.... and just do it MY way?!?!?!?

2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2019 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2020 - Emergency Conversion to Falcon F48 with limited wireless

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123