Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Microchip lead times

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Microchip lead times

Quote Originally Posted by steve123 View Post
    Unfortunately, it is quite expensive to upgrade a fab to a new node. However, are are a lot of legacy parts still in demand so I think companies will continue to operate their older fabs for a while.

The new nodes are incredible though. 5nm is coming. It is amazing what you can do the a square mm of silicon now. And you can fit 70k of those on a single wafer.
    And the stacks are getting higher. 3d NAND is an amazing piece of work.

2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Hahaha ... yeah, things are going 3D now.

Post Thanks / Like

As much as you'd think it might be easy to do, you cannot put those "older" IC chips through a modern chip factory. Those IC chips have been tried and tested on a very old process and are probably manufactured on 8-inch (200mm) or possibly even 6-inch (150mm) wafers. You can't just put the same process into a 12-inch (300mm) wafer factory to try to get more chips produced as the newer tools will not have the same specific materials (such as gases, metals, etc) needed to build those IC chips plumbed to the newer toolsets. And, with the profit margin being so low on these older IC chips, why would any modern factory make those runs, even if they could do some retrofits, when they could be making more profits on chips that are higher in demand?

(Background: I work for Intel, have done so for 25+ years now, in one of the most modern chip manufacturing facilities in the world in Hillsboro, OR. I currently work as an Engineering Technician.)

Post Thanks / Like

I work for your biggest supplier of Litho tools. Specifically I lead one of the teams working on next gen EUV

2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting group of people here! I used to work for one of the big 3 NAND vendors! Small world! But seriously, the component shortage is due to lots of things, not just China hoarding (this is actually the first time I've heard that one). Take note that even resistors and caps can be in short supply. So automotive is a big user of components, and when they forecast they wouldn't require as many devices, vendors and packaging houses also switched to what was in demand, consumer goods (including computers). With larger number of kids at home, the number of devices they needed for school jumped, along with new computers for people working from home. Add to that natural disasters (cold in Texas), and supply chains shutting down due to workers not being able to come into work, it all piles on. Supply chain is still a nightmare. Remember that the process to make a device requires lots of different raw materials and when one of those goes into short supply, you have to decide what parts you should make. I've had to do complete redesigns simply because the part I had designed in a year ago, now has a 50 week lead time. Yes...50 weeks. When will it get better? Maybe in a year.

Perhaps we should have a thread of "I'm looking for this part I just need one..." I have a bin full of different chips from past and current projects, so perhaps we can help each other out. Although 90% of my parts are surface mount, I hate doing TH board builds.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Utimgr View Post
    Perhaps we should have a thread of "I'm looking for this part I just need one..." I have a bin full of different chips from past and current projects, so perhaps we can help each other out.
    We may get to that point later in the year, but I don't think that we're there yet.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the toilet paper shortage a year ago...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    I work for your biggest supplier of Litho tools. Specifically I lead one of the teams working on next gen EUV
    Gotta be either ASML or Nikon. Probably ASML.

I did Litho for the first 18 years of my Intel time, and now work on one of the most dangerous toolsets in the factory - there's about 8-10 toxic gases that flow to this tool, and each of them have marvelous ways in which they can kill you in just a few breaths.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stormyblade View Post
    Gotta be either ASML or Nikon. Probably ASML.

I did Litho for the first 18 years of my Intel time, and now work on one of the most dangerous toolsets in the factory - there's about 8-10 toxic gases that flow to this tool, and each of them have marvelous ways in which they can kill you in just a few breaths.
    Not Nikon

You mean the EUV machine with a massive vacuum chamber and lasers is safe compared to the other systems? Good to hear. We work hard to make our machines as safe as possible. Including making sure we do not outgas anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast