Thread: Starts Transmit Data as Soon as Vixen Starts

Post Thanks / Like

Default Starts Transmit Data as Soon as Vixen Starts

I am new to Vixen and have some issues controlling a Renard Plus TR24. I have the latest Vixen firmware and defined my TR24 and a couple of Elements. Then I patched the elements to two channels. Then I configured the COM port for the TR24 and immediately the TXD lights on my USB to RS485 converter start blinking. I can repeat this by removing the converter and shut down Vixen. Then start vixen, plug in the converter, and re-configure the COM port (because it chose a different COM port). As soon as a change that the TXD lights start blinking again. Is that normal? Why would it run signals when I am not sending a sequence?

The reason I am asking is because the TR24 doesn't seem to get the signal and I also don't see the RXD light flashing. So I wonder if I configured something wrong in Vixen and so the TR24 isn't accepting it as a valid signal (and therefore doesn't light up the green light or send a response).

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Starts Transmit Data as Soon as Vixen Starts

Vixen always transmits data to any active controllers in the controller list. Controllers are active by default. So you are not seeing anything bad from the vixen side. You need to make sure the baudrate and other serial settings match between the controller and vixen.

2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that answer. I tried both 57600 and 115200 and double checked the wiring on the USB-to-RS485 adapter (the other connector is just the other side of the patch cable). Anyways, I am checking on the HW on the appropriate forums (just remembered I should not be mentioning here).

Post Thanks / Like

Many of us are on both sites. For a good number of us the "rift" happened before we joined and to me it seems like an interesting bit of history but not something for me to get upset about.

2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.

Post Thanks / Like

Indeed, I am also on both sites. I had no idea about this history when I asked about SS24 vs TR24. I got some friendly PMs explaining it. Frankly, I don't see the issue. Actually, considering that I asked the question on this site is an advantage for the red time as they can point out the (possibly biased) advantages of SS24.

Anyways, be it as it is, I thought about this a bit more and really Vixen supports both. They just started on the red site because the green site was not around yet. My assumptions!! So it should be perfectly fine to ask questions on this subforum about the boards from the green site when it relates to Vixen. Your answer seems to be a clear yes.

Post Thanks / Like

From my point of view I like the architecture used by the SS series of controllers. I replaced the CPU and the code within my own implementation that still used the Renard protocol but extended it a bit to support OTA style updates and dimming curves among other features. The platform is very stable and easy to use so, I use it.

At any rate, your issue is most likely in the cable from the adapter to the controller. Does the RX or FE light come on? If not then you have a bad adapter / cable. If they do then you may have the terminator set wrong or the serial parameters are not matching. The Wiki has a renard debugging section.