Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Optimizing the Stream

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Optimizing the Stream

Just checked the PixelController web site. It seems th F16V3 has FPP remote mode
    "Falcon Player Remote Mode. The controller can store sequences on micro SD card and play in sync with FPP master."
    and the F48 will have it soon. No idea when 'soon' is.
    "Falcon Player Remote Mode. The controller can store sequences on micro SD card and play in sync with FPP master. (Coming Soon)"

2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

ok thanks for this.
    just to be 100% clear....
    In order to execute our campus wide show in the way you recommend (decentralizing the player), I will need a PI or BBB at each controller location?

Post Thanks / Like

You may want to look at Dan Kulp's boards. They incorporates the Beaglebone into the controller, so you get a full FPP and a full controller. FPP can be used as a remote, master or standalone. Pocket beaglebones are also nifty devices. See both here: https://kulplights.com/?sn=190404235003&id=F8-Bv1

For me, I run a Pi FPP as master and Dan's pocket beagle boards as remotes. Another note is that Dan is the developer of FPP on the Beaglebone platform.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Those boards look cool, but we use a lot of 4-wire SK9822 pixels and it doesn't seem like those are supported. I just spotted this on the F16v3 product page (so I may have answered my own question):
    Falcon Player Remote Mode. The controller can store sequences on micro SD card and play in sync with FPP master.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spaulgal View Post
    ok thanks for this.
    just to be 100% clear....
    In order to execute our campus wide show in the way you recommend (decentralizing the player), I will need a PI or BBB at each controller location?
    Only if that is how you want to set things up. The goal is to have the show data travel as short a distance as possible and the best case is to not have show data on the network at all. Wherever possible you want to avoid having E1.31/Artnet/DDP data on any network segment.

If you have controllers that have the ability to participate with the FPP then you would have a LAN segment with just the controller outputting to the lights. Using the F16 as an example, it has a three port LAN switch built in. Two of the ports are exposed via RJ45 connectors and the third port goes to the F16s CPU. This makes the F16 a perfect passthrough with dropoff for the FPP sync messages.

If you have controllers that cannot participate in an FPP based system then yes you would create a network segment with:

• small 100Mb switch (5/8 port) (not a router. Too much forwarding delay in a router).
    • Good uplink to the FPP master
    • FPP Remote connected to the switch
    • local lighting controllers connected to the switch
    • downlink to the next switch. WARNING: using the downlink introduces delays to the FPP sync msg as it passes through the switch. This may be trivial or significant based on the quality of the switch and the load on the switch.
    • If there is a need for more local controllers then use a larger switch (mind the downlink warning).

Keep in mind that the PI does not use a true high capacity ethernet interface so it cannot reliably output a huge amount of E1.31 data. The BBB has a better interface and can generate more data.

2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.

Post Thanks / Like

Those boards look cool, but we use a lot of 4-wire SK9822 pixels and it doesn't seem like those are supported. I just spotted this on the F16v3 product page (so I may have answered my own question):
    Falcon Player Remote Mode. The controller can store sequences on micro SD card and play in sync with FPP master.
    I would post a question on the PixelController forum asking if the SK9822 uses a similar protocol to one of the protocols currently supported by the F16. They may even add it for you if it is close to something already supported.

NOTE: I do not work for or with the PixelController teams. I just happen to think they make a great product.

Martin

Post Thanks / Like

I actually contacted David directly about that and he said:
    Looks same as APA102. You are good to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding the F16 being able to act as a FPP remote....

Is the same functionality available on the F4v3? The site doesn't say.

On the Falcon site the F48 page says that this feature is coming soon. Do you know if it's been implemented?

Also Martin, thanks for your great response to my question above. I missed that until now. Yes, we do want to keep off the network. The F16 seems like a great asset for the reasons you point out (our primary device, we have 5 so far)
    Last edited by spaulgal; 05-14-2021 at 09:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding the F16 being able to act as a FPP remote....

Is the same functionality available on the F4v3? The site doesn't say.

On the Falcon site the F48 page says that this feature is coming soon. Do you know if it's been implemented?

Also Martin, thanks for your great response to my question above. I missed that until now. Yes, we do want to keep off the network. The F16 seems like a great asset for the reasons you point out (our primary device, we have 5 so far)
    best to ask on the falcon forum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12