Thread: "Neon" Strip Lights for Outlines

Post Thanks / Like

Default "Neon" Strip Lights for Outlines

Is anybody using "Neon" strip lights like the one in the link below? It seems they would produce nicely diffused light, make storage a lot easier, they don't require heavy PVC pipes (makes mounting easier), they use WS2815 which should be more reliable, etc. The biggest drawback is the pretty high price of around $10/meters. I don't know why those things are so expensive.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...106b6cbfi0xXxW

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: "Neon" Strip Lights for Outlines

the drawback for me is maintainability.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

You mean if an LED breaks? They are WS2815 LEDs so two consecutive LEDs would have to break. I would assume that is kind of unlikely until it gets pretty old but frankly I have no experience with this. Just asking...

Regarding repairing, I have seen quite a few posts on this forum about repairing pixels. How are you actually doing this? Cutting the bad pixel out, cut a good pixel out from a good string and connect everything back together using some shrink wrap to protect is from water?

Post Thanks / Like

yes but getting a strip like that sealed again is no fun

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

When I build the giant mount in my show, I wanted a different look and used a similar Neon style light strip. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32823372160.html They do look great and have a very smooth appearance. Part of the expense is the heavy silicon tube they are in. Each set weighed quite a bit more than I expected.

I did a lot of custom cutting, soldering, and silicon sealing building the mouth. So far they have been reliable with no issues. I do have them permanently mounted to a grid inside the frame, so they don't move or flex much.

Post Thanks / Like

I am still looking for ones that are truly RGB+CCT (I found some that SAY they are, but digging into them it turns out they are blended RGB). If I am going to permanently mount things (or for some displays) have white, true white, would definitely increase the WAF. I have not seen pixels that do this either. Admittedly most are pretty decent at combining the RGB to make white, but I would still prefer a dedicated capability to it.

Post Thanks / Like

I am really surprised to hear that people put PVC pipes permanently on their home. I would not even put those 'neon' strip lights on permanently, much less PVC pipes. There is one house in the neighborhood that has a huge display and is still taking down the Christmas lights but even they don't have anything installed permanently.

I did see strips that have white LED in addition to the RGB lights. I think they were WS1815. Check the link below. I think they mention such a strip light.

https://www.derunledlights.com/the-d...k9822/#subtt-7

Personally, I have not use for those as I just want to do lights for Christmas (and maybe Halloween later on) but I see how a white LED can be important (with all the different Kelvins) for permanent installations.

Post Thanks / Like

@munu:
    I have almost nothing mounted "permanently" (other than some staked spot lights) but there is always talk about a couple areas where the lights could be used for decoration at some times of the year, general purpose lighting, etc...

There are a bunch of RGBW or RGB+CCT light strips out there, like what you linked (usually SK6812 but I think there are others) but I have yet to see one that has been made into a neon strip directly and I am not as confident with putting those into one of the silicone sleeve diffusers for a similar effect.