Thread: "Self" Power Injection

Post Thanks / Like

Default "Self" Power Injection

I ran across an interesting video from Ni Family Lights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb_c_tNSt90

He talks about how he does pixel wiring and power injection. His main topic is that of "self power injection". The premise is when chaining props, to add a jumper between the start of the string on a model to the end of the model (or to a subsequent string in the same model) . The claim is it balances out the power, while also providing a much shorter path for power from the first prop to the second (or one string to the next). You can jump to 13:44 where be starts discussing the approach, and 14:52 to see an example of how he wires a 48 pixel Boscoyo flake.

I'm wondering if anyone else uses this approach. I'm still waiting on my 5v pixels from the pre season sale, so I can't yet test this setup. I'm thinking that I might be able to decrease the amount of power injection points with this approach. For example, the Boscoyo minitree+star. Could I run v+/v-/data from F16V3 to pixel 1, and wire a v+/v- jumper from pixel 1 to pixel 51. Would that power the 105 pixel whole prop without additional PI?

Another example is the Boscoyo 48pixel flakes. Would wiring in a jumper from start to end of the string on flake #1, be able to provide power to the second flake located a couple feet away from the first?

Thanks,
    -pc

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: "Self" Power Injection

I use this method on most of my props (including a bunch from Boscoyo)

One thing to consider when doing this is the wire gauge and amperage. Its easy to overlook how many lights you have connected and end up blowing fuses.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback. Do you find the approach actually reduces the # of PI points?

Post Thanks / Like

I think it does. I use 12 volt pixels but it should work for both voltages.

I have 16 Chromacanes that are 99 pixels each. Most people quote 100 pixels between PI points for 12v pixels. This would mean Id have to run 16 different PI points. In reality I only run six because I can run three of them off each PI point.

I have actually ran four off each PI point but ended up blowing fuses on white. This is why I mentioned keeping an eye on amperage above.

Post Thanks / Like

I built my mega tree with this method. 20-5V strands with only 11 injection point. I thought it was standard practice.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Every prop we have (and there are a lot) have been wired this way since the very beginning.

Reason: Power drops across pixels due to the small wire used in the prop. Data is regenerated from pixel to pixel, so it is not a bother. Power, especially power going to the second (and beyond) prop is better when wired this way. The "back feed" from the last pixel is really helpful as well. We rarely have a "pink problem".

His video shows this.
    Live, Laugh, Love.