Thread: Hinkspix Pro WiFi setup help needed

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hinkspix Pro WiFi setup help needed

Hello friends, I am just getting started in the hobby and I feel like I am very experienced in home networks and such, but for the life of me, I cannot setup the Hinkspix Pro on my WiFi network. I can connect via Ethernet without a problem. I am looking for suggestions and opinions on if the controller is performing as expected (maybe it is bad?).
    1. I am making sure that the WiFi network is 2.4Ghz.
    2. I have tried to setup the HinksPix manually with SSID and password with and without DHCP.
    3. I have tried to bind the MAC access of the Hinkspix wireless to my router with an IP.

Here is the easiest and less tech example of setup with failure.
    1. Connect via Ethernet and delete the access point and IP addresses to start from scratch. Save and Reset.
    2. Connect PC to Hinkspix WiFi and navigate to 192.168.4.1
    3. Select a 2.4Ghz Access Point from the list and enter its password at the bottom.
    4. Test the network. It is always successful.
    5. Unplug Ethernet from Hinkspix and Reset.
    6. Once Hinkspix is rebooted, the display shows IP 10.10.10.10. I check the WiFi settings on the Hinkspix and it shows a valid IP (192.168.1.36) and my network SSID.
    7. Orange light blinks on/off 1000ms to indicate a successful connection to the internet (this is my understanding).
    8. Navigating to 192.168.1.36 on the same SSID times out.
    9. My router shows no connection to 192.168.1.36.
    details.jpg
    Am I missing an obvious step? Any suggestions on what to try next?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hinkspix Pro WiFi setup help needed

What is your planned usage of wifi on the HinksPix ? I never found a real benefit to it .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angus40 View Post
    What is your planned usage of wifi on the HinksPix ? I never found a real benefit to it .
    My expectation was to connect xlights to the controller via WiFi so that I can run my show or make changes via WiFi. Your question make it sound like this might not be possible. After looking again at xlights, I see that there isn't an option for WiFi. So are there only 2 real options? SD Card show or connected to your network via Ethernet?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes SD and ethernet is what I have known to be premium with this controller. The SD I believe was initially for standalone usage . With the number of universes the HinksPix is capable of WiFi would be unstable .
    I have not tested to verify but FPP may be an excellent choice for the HinksPix .

I have always setup the hinks controller via ethernet and set a static IP.
    Using this method wireless connecting has never been an issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tpthatsme View Post
    My expectation was to connect xlights to the controller via WiFi so that I can run my show or make changes via WiFi. Your question make it sound like this might not be possible. After looking again at xlights, I see that there isn't an option for WiFi. So are there only 2 real options? SD Card show or connected to your network via Ethernet?
    Do you have other controllers in your show? If no, then run the Hinkspix in standalone master mode and yes, then you should be able to use WiFi to connect to your HinksPix.

If you want to use xSchedule or FPP to run the show, you should contact Joe directly and ask if he implemented FPP sync packets. I couldn't find that information anywhere.

Sending a controllers worth of data via wifi to the HinksPix for immediate playback would not be advisable. Most likely (unless your props are very small), it would lag significantly.

xLights doesn't care about physical connections. It sends e1.31 or ddp or artnet and how it gets routed to a controller is none of its business. So if the wifi address is the one you are using to send data to and you have a access point to send it via wireless, the data will magically appear on the controller.

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by MrMark; 05-14-2021 at 09:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same problem!