Thread: New tech ideas this year?

Post Thanks / Like

Default New tech ideas this year?

As an IT geek in this hobby, I really enjoy playing with new technology in my shows. Last year, I built out a show network with a Ubiquiti locoM2, pushed my Teensy and ESPixelSticks to run 17ms timings, and upgraded a "Tune To" sign with a P2.5 matrix panel.
    This year, I've been looking at the new Teensy boards to push things faster, reading about what the Raspberry Pi Pico can do, and wondering if I could use the smaller WS2812C-2020 or the double-side-emitting led strips for something cool.

What new things are you looking at on the technology side this year?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New tech ideas this year?

This year my Tune to sign is 2.5x bigger and will be driven by an ESP32 with local SD card. This means my WiFi only has FPP sync packets and no E1.31.

2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New tech ideas this year?

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    This year my Tune to sign is 2.5x bigger and will be driven by an ESP32 with local SD card. This means my WiFi only has FPP sync packets and no E1.31.
    That's awesome! I've been reading about the Unify 4.0 code for the ESPixelSticks and need to try it out soon. Makes scalability for a show much easier when you don't have to worry about sending lots of data out. Thanks for sharing