Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Idea for new lights?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Idea for new lights?

Hey Everyone,

I've been doing my lightshow for a couple of years now, and I've moved from relays to SS relays and now to mostly pixels. I am trying to decide what to upgrade on my house for this next year-what would make the most punch. As you can tell, I love my house being as "loud" (color-wise) as possible and the goal is to move toward Clark Griswold. I have around $750 for this year and really want to make the house pop.

My mega tree is controlled by a Falcon F16V3, and most of the others are controlled by various LOR controllers that I bought from a fellow DIYer on this forum. Pretty much all of my power supplies are maxed out already, so anything new would have to have a new PS for injection. If it matters, I'm using Vixen.

Thanks for the ideas! Feel free to go crazy! :D

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Idea for new lights?

the flat surface on your roof can use some love. snowflakes, huge grid etc.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

There appears to be a huge tree in your front yard. So many things you could do with that. Wrap more branches, fill it with ornaments, put icicles in it, run lines from it and put decorations on the lines. One of the most spectaular houses in our town is one that loops his tree branches (beehive style) wiith single color leds.

I used to love running my pixels at 100%. I could see the glow of my house from across town. If that is your thing, I am with you brother! But since you mentioned power...50% will still be spectacular and let you spend more on lights and less on wiring.

Post Thanks / Like

I could see some simple coro candy canes lining the walkway between your front door and garage door nicely. I agree with the tree too, you could a pixel node net to wrap the tree and turn it into another matrix basically.

Post Thanks / Like

You have a pretty loaded front yard display -- and the example was a test sequence?

Couple thoughts for you: to make the mini-trees pop and be the center of the display, consider turning everything else off and thus, use darkness to help viewers focus on the action. Conversely, to make the house pop, don't show the megatree, mini-trees or the animals -- just make it the house. You might put all the animals in fairly close proximity to one another and play them off one another by animating them in a song that has lyrics -- and, of course, turning everything else dark. The point I'm trying to make (probably not very well) is that you want to be judicious with the use of motion and color so that the viewer can see it all, moving his/her eyes around through the display.

You could do something around the garage door, too. Then when you animate, you can sequentially activate portions of the house going left-to-right to move the viewer's eyes to the right, where the garage is, where you might do something fun there... or move them back to the left and then fire up the megatree as an exclamation point....

just ideas.....

http://digwdf.org/store/
    Even though the DIGWDF Store has been closed for two years, it's still awesome!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

A long time ago, a very good teacher hammered into my head, "dark/black is a color. In fact, it should be the most used color in your scenes on the stage." Nowhere since has this been more true, and most valuable, as in doing the lighting we do in this hobby. In the dark, a single light is as bright as a beacon!
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    You have a pretty loaded front yard display -- and the example was a test sequence?
    Haha yeah, unfortunately this was the only video I could find of my house from this last year. I guess I forgot to record the actual shows I made. I definitely turn off different elements at different times, this was more to show where each of the elements were and what other elements might be awesome.

I'd love to put lights on the garage, but we do need to be able to open and close the garage door, so I'm not sure how to light it up. I do have a few pixel spotlights that I can use....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    the flat surface on your roof can use some love. snowflakes, huge grid etc.
    That is very true.... I'd love to do a huge grid but since the house is 65' wide, that would be a loooot of lights (unless there's something I'm not thinking of). Snowflakes would look really good too, I like that idea a lot

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeKrebs View Post
    There appears to be a huge tree in your front yard. So many things you could do with that. Wrap more branches, fill it with ornaments, put icicles in it, run lines from it and put decorations on the lines. One of the most spectaular houses in our town is one that loops his tree branches (beehive style) wiith single color leds.
    This is an awesome idea, I just don't have a great way of doing it safely. Guess I need to buy a bigger ladder or rent a cherry picker or something.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kingjesse2 View Post
    This is an awesome idea, I just don't have a great way of doing it safely. Guess I need to buy a bigger ladder or rent a cherry picker or something.
    Slingshot and hi test fishing line. Just pull up into the tree as high as you can find a way.

There are always "down sides" to any new ideas but you said Griswold so find a way to make it happen (stapler into shingles! ) If you spend $100 on power another $100 on controller and control box that leaves you with $550 for pixels. Roughly 2000 pixels at 4" spacing will give you 665 feet or 10 rows for your roof. That would be an awesome roof!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast