Thread: Setting up Strips in xLights

Post Thanks / Like

Default Setting up Strips in xLights

So I just finished building my arches using 2811 strips and want to be sure I have xLights setup appropriately. Since they are strips each arch has 48 nodes (2811 chips) with each chip controlling 3 clusters of led's with each cluster containing an R, G & B element.

So I know in xLights I need to state that each arch has 48 nodes but my question is how many "Lights per node" do I put? Since each chip is controlling the 3 clusters of LED's would I put 9 lights per node? I currently only have 3 lights per node as one would for bullet pixels but I'm not sure what to do in this case.

The Garlands effect doesn't work quite as anticipated, which might be because that effect addresses the pixels individually more so than others but I just want to be sure I have everything set up properly before changing the effect to act more like I want.

Thanks,
    -Russ

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Setting up Strips in xLights

you pretty much treat each pixel as a self contained entity. A pixel typically drives a SINGLE tricolor LED (sequencers do not care how many LEDs are in there). The fact that your strip has three tri-color LEDs incorporated into your single pixel does not really matter to the model. The model sees and works with your 48 pixels. It tires to make things look prettier in the preview when you tell the model that each pixel has three tri-color LEDs, but this does not affect how the data is generated and sent to your arches.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Ah okay great so those settings are just for the preview. Glad it doesn't affect the actual performance of the lights.

Thanks,
    -Russ

Post Thanks / Like

Actually it does affect the lights. You are proramming how the lights receive info. Follow Martin's guidance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rstehle View Post
    Actually it does affect the lights. You are proramming how the lights receive info. Follow Martin's guidance.
    Sorry but this seems to contradict? You're saying that the settings of "lights per node" do affect how the lights receive the data / info but Martin's guidance is saying that the # of nodes controls the data package and not the lights per node.

So if I set it to 48 nodes the data package will flow to the actual lights during the sequence correctly regardless of how many lights per node I put. However xLights will change the preview to more accurately represent what the lights would look like in actuality when I change the lights per node right?

-Russ

Post Thanks / Like

I think we need to be careful here. I am a vixen user and it looks like we are mixing terminology and wandering into the Nodes per node aka group domain. Some definitions:

• Pixel (not good to call it a node but...): An entity that can convert 24 bits (ignoring RGBW) of data into light via one or more attached TRI-Color LEDs
    • Pixel Group: 'N' (2 or more) pixels that are treated by the sequencing software as if they are a single pixel.
      • The same data is sent to each individual pixel in a group.

• Lights on a pixel: Number of points to display on the preview screen when showing the current pixel color.
      • Output data to the pixels does not change based on the number of lights used to represent a pixel on the preview.

So you need to make sure you are not inadvertently wandering into configure pixel groups. Pixel groups WILL affect the data being sent to the controllers, Lights on a pixel on the preview screen will have no effect on the data being sent to the controller but it WILL affect how it looks on the preview screen.

BTW: The number of Lights on a pixel / string is there to support the preview display of a DUMB string (AC string, DUMB RGB etc...).

Now, you need to translate that to xLights terminology.

Martin

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q