Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ESPixelstick playing sequence without FPP?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ESPixelstick playing sequence without FPP?

Quote Originally Posted by Heldwhat Christmas View Post
    I'm having a hard time getting this working...
    If I set my Second input mode to Effects, and my First output mode to WS2811, I can get effects to work fine.
    If I set my First input mode to E1.31 from xLights I can run my sequence, and everything works fine.
    If I set my First input mode to FPP remote, select my .fseq file, nothing lights up. On the Home page of my ESP, the Local File Player Status shows the right filename, but time elapsed and time remaining both show 00:00, even though my .fseq is 30 seconds long. If I load that same .fseq file on a Pi running FPP, it doesn't have an issue playing the sequence (it's not connected to any lights, but it shows it playing the sequence for 30 seconds).

Any thoughts here?

I programmed the V4 alpha firmware from Travis' branch, set to Platform ESPixelStick V3 (NOT Unify) and FW Generic (NOT ESP32).
    Many of these issues have debug info that comes out of the serial port. If you have V3 hardware then all you need is a USB cable connected to the MCU card. At any rate, here is the error that comes out:

12:41:41.261 -> StartPlaying:: Could not start. navy.fseq is not a v2 uncompressed sequence.

You need to figure out how to make xLights output a V2 uncompressed sequence. Most likely the sequence is V2 and has been compressed. FPP would have no problem playing a compressed file.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Heldwhat Christmas View Post
    I built the Navy coro prop from Boscoyo for my dad that I'm lighting using an ESPixelstick and I thought I had seen last year there were plans to update the ESPixelstick to be able to run sequences on startup instead of requiring FPP or something similar. I don't see the option in 3.2, or on the list of things added in 4.0. I thought this would keep the setup super simple for my dad.

Does anyone know if that ever happened or if I'm misremembering? If I can't do it with an ESPixelstick, any other suggestions? I could wire up a Pi Zero with FPP on to the prop, but that just seems like overkill...

Thanks!
    The ESPArtStick https://espartstick.ecwid.com/5v-12V...led-p170368862 will do what you want. It has a SD card reader built in it. It will play whatever .fseq file(s) are on the card when it is powered up. I will play multiple files in order if you have more then one on the card. It repeats the playing until powered down. I use one for my top hat marquee and another for an inside Snow Flake I have that is not part of my show. This might be the all in one solution you are looking for.

Post Thanks / Like

The V4 software can also do this. However, instead of using the position on the file system to determine order, you create a playlist file and configure the ESP to play that. It will walk through the play list over and over until you change the play setting. Playlist starts at the beginning on reset / power on. Playlist also allows you to intermingle "effects" between sequences. File consecutive repeat and Effect duration is controlled by values in the playlist file.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Martin for the help! My issue was my .fseq file was compressed.

For others who find this and have this issue...

In xLights -> File -> Preferences -> Sequences -> FSEQ Version -> Set to V2 Uncompressed. Default is V2 ZSTD.
    My sequence is 30 seconds long and the compressed file was ~2KB, uncompressed was 708KB.
    I was glad to get this working. I have a number of V1.1, V2.0, and V3.0 Pixelsticks and they've been good to me. :-) I was reading Martin's readme for the V4 software and it looks extremely configurable for rotating between sequences, effects, and other things, and of course just being a E1.31 receiver.

mikeh65 - thanks for the suggestion! I've got it working with the ESPixelStick but it's good seeing other options out there. Do you know if the ESPArtStick also needs the fseq files to be uncompressed? It's not a big deal with the huge size of SD cards these days relative to sequence sizes, but I'm curious.
    Last edited by Heldwhat Christmas; 04-21-2021 at 03:40 PM.
    -Chris

2012: 3 Renard SS24's for 72 channels... 6236 lights... powered by HLS
    2014: 3 Renard SS24's, 1 SS16, 2 REN RGB+w, 1 E6804, 32 FAST tubes... 7,000+ lights & 200 pixels... powered by FPP & HLS

Post Thanks / Like

The option to create uncompressed files is likely going away at some point. You WILL need to use FPP Connect to get the sequences uploaded to the ESPixelSticks in a format they can use.
    Dan Kulp

Post Thanks / Like

I do not use xLights, I use Vixen. I do not use compression. Don't see the need for it. My hat is 512 pixels and the largest fseq has only been 1800KB. I don't think compression is needed since it's not being transmitted and played local.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeh65 View Post
    I do not use xLights, I use Vixen. I do not use compression. Don't see the need for it. My hat is 512 pixels and the largest fseq has only been 1800KB. I don't think compression is needed since it's not being transmitted and played local.
    A few thoughts on this comment:
    Compressed or not compressed does not matter even if the PI is playing the file to a local controller. When the FSEQ data is converted to E1.31 data, any compression is lost. Compression saves time transfering the fseq file to the FPP and saves space on the FPP sd card. On the ESP your fseq file only has the channels needed by that ESP so the fseq is inherently smaller than the files you transfer to the FPP.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Martin,
    Could the Espixelstick software detect compression on upload and uncompress for local use? This would keep the load off the CPU during playback but allow any format to be uploaded.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkulp View Post
    The option to create uncompressed files is likely going away at some point. You WILL need to use FPP Connect to get the sequences uploaded to the ESPixelSticks in a format they can use.
    Dan - Please tell us that FPP will still be able to use uncompressed files. Some of us use more/other than xLights to build our files and send them to FPP. We do it without compression.

Though it is a great piece of software, and contrary to what some would have us believe - xLights is not the whole world.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you misunderstand. TODAY in xLights there is a mechanism to send a configuration AND fseq files to (among other things) an ESP. 'FPP Connect' will send an appropriate version of the FSEQ to the target device. In the case of an ESP, that would be an uncompressed file.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast