Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: ESPixelstick playing sequence without FPP?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ESPixelstick playing sequence without FPP?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeKrebs View Post
    Hey Martin,
    Could the Espixelstick software detect compression on upload and uncompress for local use? This would keep the load off the CPU during playback but allow any format to be uploaded.
    It MIGHT be possible on the ESP32 things, but not on esp8266. There isn't enough memory on the esp8266 to hold the dictionaries and such that are needed for the zstd decompression. The zlib decompression is "possible", but we'd have to add a bunch of code to shutdown everything and recollect all the output buffers and such to use for the decompression. That's pretty much why it's forced to use the uncompressed at this point. CaptainMurdoch and I have talked about extending the v2 fseq format (it's extensible) to add an RLE type of compression specifically for the esp devices. That would allow significantly quicker transfers to the pixelstick. It's just been fairly low on the priority list.
    Dan Kulp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    A few thoughts on this comment:
    Compressed or not compressed does not matter even if the PI is playing the file to a local controller. When the FSEQ data is converted to E1.31 data, any compression is lost. Compression saves time transfering the fseq file to the FPP and saves space on the FPP sd card. On the ESP your fseq file only has the channels needed by that ESP so the fseq is inherently smaller than the files you transfer to the FPP.
    Martin, You said what I meant and in a much better way. I didn't think the software mattered either. Since most transfer will be done on the SD card, smaller file size, compression, is not needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkulp View Post
    The option to create uncompressed files is likely going away at some point. You WILL need to use FPP Connect to get the sequences uploaded to the ESPixelSticks in a format they can use.
    Dan, what's driving the removal of saving uncompressed files?
    As I understand your statement, in the future I would need to use FPP Connect to get an uncompressed FSEQ file on my FPP, then download from FPP my uncompressed FSEQ, and then upload to my ESPixelstick... Did I get that right?
    I won't be doing this very often, and it works, just sounds convoluted.

BTW, I do only use xLights. :-) Started out in HLS, but migrated to xLights several years ago.
    -Chris

2012: 3 Renard SS24's for 72 channels... 6236 lights... powered by HLS
    2014: 3 Renard SS24's, 1 SS16, 2 REN RGB+w, 1 E6804, 32 FAST tubes... 7,000+ lights & 200 pixels... powered by FPP & HLS

Post Thanks / Like

One other thought was I first tried switching to uncompressed with Tools-> Convert, before I found it in Preferences... If you need to get rid of the current method of getting uncompressed FSEQ, perhaps adding it in the Convert tool would be an option?
    -Chris

2014: 3 Renard SS24's, 1 SS16, 2 REN RGB+w, 1 E6804, 32 FAST tubes... 7,000+ lights & 200 pixels... powered by FPP & HLS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Heldwhat Christmas View Post
    Dan, what's driving the removal of saving uncompressed files?
    As I understand your statement, in the future I would need to use FPP Connect to get an uncompressed FSEQ file on my FPP, then download from FPP my uncompressed FSEQ, and then upload to my ESPixelstick... Did I get that right?
    I won't be doing this very often, and it works, just sounds convoluted.
    No.... FPP Connect can directly upload to the ESPixelSticks, no need to bounce it through FPP. If you bring up FPP Connect, it should be able to discover the pixel sticks and display them just like any other FPP instance. It knows it's a PixelStick and will only allow "Uncompressed" uploads (for now, if we add a compression that can work, FPP Connect will be updated to allow the option). When the new Falcons come out that have upload capability as well, they will also (hopefully) be going through the FPP Connect (and at which point it will likely be renamed to just "Controller Connect" or something). I'd like to move the Hinks uploads into it as well.

Basically, the FSEQ file that xLights saves to the local disk is "everything" and really is not optimized for any use case at all. With the size of shows now, deploying that fseq file anywhere is not a good idea. FPP Connect can look at the target hardware for each place it's uploading and optimize the fseq specifically for that device. The PixelSticks need uncompressed AND only the channels it requires as the bandwidth to/from the SD card is horribly slow (1 bit transfers). The Pi Zero and older Pi's don't have the processor cycles for the deeper compression levels so FPP connect will use "fast" instead of "small" compression. The Beagles depend on the number of channels the device needs and will adjust the speed vs compression level appropriately. Etc.... There is a lot of "smarts" in the FPP Connect process.
    Dan Kulp

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm.... I'm running xLights 2021.09 and with FPP Connect I'm not able to add my Pixelstick running v4 firmware (in FPP Connect I click add, type in the IP address, see the gathering info screen, then it returns back with no pixelstick listed.
    -Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Heldwhat Christmas View Post
    Hmmm.... I'm running xLights 2021.09 and with FPP Connect I'm not able to add my Pixelstick running v4 firmware (in FPP Connect I click add, type in the IP address, see the gathering info screen, then it returns back with no pixelstick listed.
    sigh. I will retest this on Monday. It was working and there have not been any changes since then.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234