Thread: miss wired?

Post Thanks / Like

Default miss wired?

Hello! I'm completely new to this. I decided to try a small scale project before I invest a ton of $. I got 3 5M strings of WS2815 lights with a K1000C controller. when I connect the string directly to the power supply and controller everything works fine. I have 4 wire running to the track and when I connect it with that wire it goes all wonky. it won't run the factory settings. the first LED usually flashes red no matter what all the others are doing and when I soldered 2 strings together, the 1st 3rd will do 1 thing, the 2nd 3rd does something else, and the last 3rd does what the 1st 3rd did. SOMEBODY HELP!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: miss wired?

You may be having multiple issues. Lets solve them one at a time.

How far is the controller to the first string?
    What kind of wire are you using (post a link)?
    What kind of connectors?
    How have you wired it?

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

LOL when I first read this subject (Miss Wired), I thought they were talking about my girlfriend in the morning when she's had way too much coffee.

Post Thanks / Like

4 wires doesn't sound right. With the K1000C controller, I think power should be run separately? Yes?

You should have two wires (gnd and data) from the controller. The ground should be connected to the power supply ground at the pixels and the data should be split and connected to your two data in (solder bridge would work).

In the instructions I found, I didn't see a way to set the number of pixels. If they are sending 2800 pixels of data, math says you have to keep the speed down to about 100ms? Do make sure you have the frames set low if in test mode. Maybe in the LEDEdit 2016 you can set the number of pixels?