Thread: Fusing Controller

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fusing Controller

I'm just about ready to start building my first controller box(es) and as I was planning out my layouts I was wondering if I should put a fuse on the power line for my controller(s)? And if so what size fuse?

I've seen some builds that the controllers are fused but I wasn't sure if this was a standard. Standard DC power knowledge is telling me to put a fuse on everything but I wanted to poll here as well. Then if I should be fusing the controller as well what size fuse would suffice? I know most Distro boards come with 5A fuses as a standard as does my Kulp controller so I assumed that would be sufficient but again wanted to confirm.

Thanks!
    -Russ

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fusing Controller

• What happens if you add a fuse and something does wrong - You blow the fuse and all is well.
    • What happens if no fuse is present and something goes wrong - You replace the controller.

Your choice.

How big should the fuse be: That depends on the controller and how it drives your lights. My controllers would need a 500ma fuse since I rarely use the V+ outputs on my controllers. Yours would depend on the wire going to the controller and the aggregate of the fusing on the V+ outputs.

2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/MartinMueller2003

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fusing Controller

So I'm going to use V+ on at least 3 outputs, one with 245 pixels, one with 50 and another with 60 rectangular RGB modules (all 12v). Are you saying that I should add up the draw from all of those pixels and fuse my controller power line accordingly? As per Bill Porters presentation 15a fuse can handle 545 pixels at 50% brightness 15A (0.055 draw * 0.5 brightness )so I think 50a would work here or should I use a different calculation?

Also thinking of my three smart expansion boards. Two will be controlling 800 pixels in my tree, 100 x output total but should only be powering the first 50 per string as I'll add PI at 100. The third will only be powering the 90 pixel star for now. I was planning to add one power in line for all three so I'd add up the draw 15A (0.055 * 0.3) = 909 pixels.

Thanks
    -Russ