Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Megatree power configuration and F16v3

Post Thanks / Like

Default Megatree power configuration and F16v3

In trying to simplify my setup I realized I may have designed myself into a corner and made things a little more complex.

I am looking to drive 32 strings 12v @ 50 nodes each (1600 total 12v nodes) megatree from one F16v3 board. My plan was to use 2 strings (total 100 nodes) per port for 16 ports total. For now, let's assume worst-case scenario of 100% brightness/white which leaves me with a power requirement of 1152 total watts and 96 amps per the megatree calculator. My plan was to power this from 4 350W Meanwells OR 2 750 HP server PSUs.

The F16v3 is only rated for 30amps per bank (8 ports per bank) so 60amps total.

My realization is that I must power inject to remove the load from the board. So I have inadvertently designed the opposite of what I wanted to do

Assuming no changes to the design or brightness and not using another expansion board - is the best approach to send data only from 16 ports on the F16v3 and drive power to the 16 strings through 4 F8-Distro power distribution boards? The F8s are rated at 30 amps each. So 4 F8-Distro gives me 120amp total (I can't use 2 or 3 boards because I would exceed the 30 amp per board limit and not give me the 96 amps I need). I would run 4x, 100-node strings from each of the 4 F8-Distro boards at 6amps per string gives me 24amps per F8-distro board.

Is this the best approach or is there a more elegant solution?

If this is the recommended approach would I just bring the data line from the 16 F16v3 ports to each of the strings? Do I need to worry about making a circuit or loop for data or does this not matter?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Megatree power configuration and F16v3

IIWM, I would would feed half of each bank from the board. The other half I would run data,V- from board and V+ and V- from a different power supply.

But really if it were me...I would run at 50% and just use two power supplies.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeKrebs View Post
    IIWM, I would would feed half of each bank from the board. The other half I would run data,V- from board and V+ and V- from a different power supply.

But really if it were me...I would run at 50% and just use two power supplies.
    Are you saying that I should power ports 1-4 and 9-12 from the board and then ports 5-8 and 13-16 would be ground and data only and use distro boards to bring ground a V+? Ports 1-4 and 5-8 would be 288 watts/24 amps and 1 power supply each. Then ports 5-8 and 13-16 would be supplied the same through the distro boards and 1 PSU each.

One more fatal flaw I realized my 6 amps per string at 100% brightness simply won’t work since the fuses/ports are 5 amps. Max would be 60% brightness which is 3.6 amps per 100 node string and 57.6 amps for the board.

This is my first megatree and I have no point of comparison on brightness so I was using 100% as worst case. If I insisted on 100% The only choice is to use 32 strings across 32 ports at 50 nodes to come in at 3 amps per port and 48 amp total per board.

I’ve read that 100% brightness on a 180 degree 1600 node megatree may be eyeball searing. I’m looking for reassurance that it will look good even at 50%. It won’t be competing with any other high density prop aside from a PPD geowreath on the house 25 feet behind it and on the second floor.
    Last edited by rci27; 03-01-2021 at 12:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

so 32 string at 50 pixel is not that tall /big ( 12 ft ? ) .. no need to run 100 % i run mine at 25 % and its pretty bright enough with 2000 pixel on the v3 ... that way only need 2 power supply (1 for each side ) no injection needed it
    in the last few year thing has change when regard to power injection and brightness as it used to be 12 v 100 pixel need injection ect ,,, now if you run 40 % or less you can run close to 200 pixel without injection and you still blind people with it lol
    Last edited by barbotte; 03-01-2021 at 01:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

imo, 100% power injection. no v+ from the controller at all. dont care what intensity you use.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

I expect that will be a very very bright tree, if 100% on.

You may want to tell the controller to limit the brightness to 50%. I know my E682 can do that. Then your power is halved, and you don't blind passing jetliners

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shockwave View Post
    I expect that will be a very very bright tree, if 100% on.

You may want to tell the controller to limit the brightness to 50%. I know my E682 can do that. Then your power is halved, and you don't blind passing jetliners
    I've compromised down to 60% as the mathematical magic number I need to hit to make it work That breaks down to 32 strings of 50 lights put into groups of 100 to use 16 ports. 80% power supply utilization at 60% brightness gives me 57.6 amps for the total board - or 28.8 amps per bank.

In general - how strict are the amperage limits. The PiCAp is documented at 5amps max but in practice, it can handle a lot more. What is the relationship between the documented amp load and practical use?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rci27 View Post
    I've compromised down to 60% as the mathematical magic number I need to hit to make it work That breaks down to 32 strings of 50 lights put into groups of 100 to use 16 ports. 80% power supply utilization at 60% brightness gives me 57.6 amps for the total board - or 28.8 amps per bank.

In general - how strict are the amperage limits. The PiCAp is documented at 5amps max but in practice, it can handle a lot more. What is the relationship between the documented amp load and practical use?
    i did run 125 pixel per port at 100 % for few night as it was user error (on my part ) until half tree die (blow the power supply and few wire lol ) dont forget that your tree will only be at full white for few second in your song so at 50 % or less you still will be bright and not blowing anything

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barbotte View Post
    i did run 125 pixel per port at 100 % for few night as it was user error (on my part ) until half tree die (blow the power supply and few wire lol ) dont forget that your tree will only be at full white for few second in your song so at 50 % or less you still will be bright and not blowing anything
    Perfect example of why you should not design for less than 100% brightness.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barbotte View Post
    so 32 string at 50 pixel is not that tall /big ( 12 ft ? ) .. no need to run 100 % i run mine at 25 % and its pretty bright enough with 2000 pixel on the v3 ... that way only need 2 power supply (1 for each side ) no injection needed it
    in the last few year thing has change when regard to power injection and brightness as it used to be 12 v 100 pixel need injection ect ,,, now if you run 40 % or less you can run close to 200 pixel without injection and you still blind people with it lol
    I run 300 pixels at 35% off a single port with no issues at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast