Thread: Renard & Falcon F48 & xLights

Post Thanks / Like

Default Renard & Falcon F48 & xLights

I have a Falcon F48 and want to use some of my static 115V LED string lights and other props with it. It's my understanding that Falcon controllers should work in such a setup. Reading in forums and the manual of the F48 it seems I can only use controllers using a serial protocol. So based on https://renard-plus.com/ I seems to be limited to the Standard Series SS16, Standard Series SS24, Renard 32 and Renard 64. However, in the Products menu I can't find any of those boards. So where can I read up on them and buy them?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Renard & Falcon F48 & xLights

The boards that you list are available in kit form from Wayne James as described in this thread: http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...rent-01-01-21).

There are also a number of people selling boards (usually assembled, sometimes not) that they no longer need due to their switch to pixels.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Duplicate post
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2019 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2020 - Emergency Conversion to Falcon F48 with limited wireless

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by munu View Post
    I have a Falcon F48 and want to use some of my static 115V LED string lights and other props with it. It's my understanding that Falcon controllers should work in such a setup. Reading in forums and the manual of the F48 it seems I can only use controllers using a serial protocol. So based on https://renard-plus.com/ I seems to be limited to the Standard Series SS16, Standard Series SS24, Renard 32 and Renard 64. However, in the Products menu I can't find any of those boards. So where can I read up on them and buy them?
    You can find the Renard Plus products on their store site @ http://www.renard-shop.com/. Both WayneJ and Renard Plus have great products and great customer service. You can also find boards like these available used in the Buy/Sell/Trade section of this site.
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2019 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2020 - Emergency Conversion to Falcon F48 with limited wireless

Post Thanks / Like

After more research and input from people it seems I don't really need the "Direct Serial (DB9) Input" boards as all of them are serial and use DMX, hence can work with the Falcon F48. The SS16 and SS24, despite being quite popular, seem to be older designs. The TR16, TR24, LCC16 and RGB+W seem to be the newer designs. However, what is the difference between them? The table on https://renard-plus.com/ doesn't show any difference.

And where could I get those boards. Wayne only seems to offer the SS16 and SS24, which is confusing because why would he sell the older boards...

Post Thanks / Like

What's wrong with being older?
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by munu View Post
    After more research and input from people it seems I don't really need the "Direct Serial (DB9) Input" boards as all of them are serial and use DMX, hence can work with the Falcon F48. The SS16 and SS24, despite being quite popular, seem to be older designs. The TR16, TR24, LCC16 and RGB+W seem to be the newer designs. However, what is the difference between them? The table on https://renard-plus.com/ doesn't show any difference.

And where could I get those boards. Wayne only seems to offer the SS16 and SS24, which is confusing because why would he sell the older boards...
    The difference between them is also at the heart of the reason there is a red site and a green site.

From my point of view they are equivalent. Produced by two different groups and accomplish the same thing (Variety is the spice of life). Wayne is selling the current version of his boards. Since many people have moved to pixels, there is very little call for new development of individual channel output boards when the current designs meet the needs of our shows. Yes the Renard and DMX style channel boards will drive your AC lights (or at least the AC versions will). I have a Ren64XC that runs my AC lights (and a backup). Nothing Wrong with the TR series. You could also watch the forum for people selling there used gear as they switch to pixels.

2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by P. Short View Post
    What's wrong with being older?
    Oh oh. Where to start ! Is it hips and shoulders today or knees and low back ?
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with knowing what you know now and being 20, 30 , 40 ...years younger .

Just sayin ..

Umm ... what was the question ?

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm Eyes and darn I cant remember the other thing...

2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    Hmm Eyes and darn I cant remember the other thing...
    You guys are getting off topic but that is a pretty funny comment...

Anyways, I will try to find a place to source the TR24 which seems the newest version for 115V AC dumb LED lights.