Thread: Looking for activity LED mod/hack for the Renard SS- series of controllers

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for activity LED mod/hack for the Renard SS- series of controllers

Some time ago I saw that someone had come up with a mod/hack for the the Renard SS- series of controllers that provided an activity LED for each output. When they built the board, for each output they replaced a thru hole resister with a SMT resistor and SMT LED. I think it was the 180 ohm resistor. The result was that the LED would light whenever the output was on.

I am trying to find the instructions. I thought I bookmarked it but I've lost it. Does anybody know what I'm talking about and have the link?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Looking for activity LED mod/hack for the Renard SS- series of controllers

The best way for me to find something myself is to ask someone else for help...
    Youtube link
    Forum link

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Looking for activity LED mod/hack for the Renard SS- series of controllers

Is this what you were looking for? It wasn't easy figuring out the right search terms to avoid getting hundreds of search results.

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...rd+Status+LEDs
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by P. Short View Post
    Is this what you were looking for? It wasn't easy figuring out the right search terms to avoid getting hundreds of search results.

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...rd+Status+LEDs
    Yep, that's it. I found it literally 5 minutes after posting the question. Sorry you went to the effort but thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Its a cool mod. I have one I use for testing and show that has it done to it.
    James Family Christmas - 1600 channels of SS Renard channels
    Facebook - James Family Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

For the SS24, the only caveat to the mod is if you decide to make the controller wireless by attaching an ESP8266 to it, pirating power for it directly from the controller. Status LEDs draw current, too, and 24 of them adds another 100ma draw on the 400ma transformer. An ESP8266 can draw upwards of 250ma by itself as it associates with an access point and it generally won't make an association if it's starved for current.

You can recover about 50ma of current by removing the controller's oscillator and replacing the original PIC16F688 chips with the PIC16F1825 chip instead, which should give you the extra headroom you need to keep the wireless connection successful.

http://digwdf.org/store/
    Even though the DIGWDF Store has been closed for two years, it's still awesome!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic insight Dave.
    with only 400ma available, you can use it up fast!
    Brownouts are a PITA.

Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    For the SS24, the only caveat to the mod is if you decide to make the controller wireless by attaching an ESP8266 to it, pirating power for it directly from the controller. Status LEDs draw current, too, and 24 of them adds another 100ma draw on the 400ma transformer. An ESP8266 can draw upwards of 250ma by itself as it associates with an access point and it generally won't make an association if it's starved for current.

You can recover about 50ma of current by removing the controller's oscillator and replacing the original PIC16F688 chips with the PIC16F1825 chip instead, which should give you the extra headroom you need to keep the wireless connection successful.

Post Thanks / Like

As I understand the mod, the LEDs are in series with the gate drive resistor, which has been reduced in value to compensate for the voltage drop across the status LED. Since it's in series with gate resistor, there isn't any noticeable additional current draw. This is a different situation than the Renard64, where the per-channel status LEDs present an additional load on the PIC output and thus draw more current.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Good point, Phil.

Thanks for the clarification. the Ren64 gobbled-up lots of juice in those green status leds, to be sure!!!

http://digwdf.org/store/
    Even though the DIGWDF Store has been closed for two years, it's still awesome!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.