Thread: FPP in bridge mode with vixen

Post Thanks / Like

Default FPP in bridge mode with vixen

I am currently running my show with a home pc. this was the first year running pixels without my a/c lights. I was wondering if i can use a pi4 in bridge mode to run my a/c box with Arduinos? if i configure my pi's as master and remote it works but would rather run from my home pc if possible. I asked this question on the facebook FPP page and was told xshedules will act as a master. I do not like xlights and will never switch so was hoping vixen could do it. Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: FPP in bridge mode with vixen

Vixen doesn't have the capability to do multisync, neither master or remote. But you can certainly set the FPP in bridge mode and use it just like a regular controller.

Post Thanks / Like

If you run the show from your home computer using Vixen Scheduler, what purpose does the Pi/FPP provide?

What controller are you using for your pixels?
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

FPP is very versatile. I used it myself as a controller long before i used it as a scheduler/player. It can be used as a controller, or a video player. The Kulp controllers for example use FPP as their base firmware. You can configure them to receive sACN and output pixel data just like a regular controller listening to any player. I think the OP in this thread is going for something along those lines, but with AC lights instead of pixels.

Post Thanks / Like

OK.That is what I was wondering. So when using it as a controller that is receiving 'live' data, do you still have to configure the output channels as you would for a .fseq file?
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kev View Post
    OK.That is what I was wondering. So when using it as a controller that is receiving 'live' data, do you still have to configure the output channels as you would for a .fseq file?
    It depends how you're using it. In this scenario you typically would be using one of the local output types. Like panels or pi pixels, or one of the other types. Generally you won't be receiving sACN and also outputting sACN. Sometimes you won't define any outputs. One of mine is a bridge mode video player. It doesn't have any outputs configured. Just control channels for event triggers.

Post Thanks / Like

I was just trying to figure out how the OP can get his Arduino A.C. Controller working. Seems like he should not necessarily pass the data through the Pi/FPP but probably just run it via US B from the show computer. Unless he adds the A.C. Channels to the E1.31 data stream and breaks it out for the pi usb port.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

I was assuming that he was using one of the USB/Serial outputs to drive the arduino setup. In which case yes, you'd feed it with sACN and output whatever output the arduino stuff uses. It's no different in concept than a renard/DMX bridge, or even a pixel controller for that matter.