Thread: export to csv all 0's

Post Thanks / Like

Default export to csv all 0's

I have a very basic setup created, mapping is done with 8 generic serial and mapped to 8 generic number group in a one for one manner. New sequence created using Custom Value element and a 8 bit Value and Defined value of say 64. CSV outputs all 0s.... I a using 3.7us Build 1024? Do I have something setup wrong? This is a fresh install on a Win 10 VM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: export to csv all 0's

It sounds like you did it correctly. When you say mapped, you mean patched? did you verify that by highlighting the elements and controller channels and looking in graphical view to see that they're connected?
    Custom value isn't often used with a generic serial controller, so it's not a commonly tested scenario, but it should still work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    It sounds like you did it correctly. When you say mapped, you mean patched? did you verify that by highlighting the elements and controller channels and looking in graphical view to see that they're connected?
    Custom value isn't often used with a generic serial controller, so it's not a commonly tested scenario, but it should still work.
    Yes I meant patched... Verified via the graphical view that it was indeed patched. Results are the same... screen shots attached....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

What exactly are you trying to achieve? what are those channels connected to? Lighting loads? or some sort of custom apparatus like a servo or something?

You wouldn't typically have a color breakdown filter on an element where you're using a custom value effect. The breakdown filter implies that it's a lighting type element that supports color and intensity. The custom value doesn't generate that kind of data.

Post Thanks / Like

This will be connected to an 8 channel USB relay. I use the CSV to read the values, compile the values and send the command to the board to do a basic on/off of the relay. If there is a better way I am all for trying it.....

Post Thanks / Like

If lighting is what you're after, try using the lighting effects rather than the device effects. A set level effect at 100% should output a value of 255. At 50% it would be 128, etc... That should work the way you have it patched. The only other thing to note is to use the same color in the effect that you used in those single color breakdown filters.

Post Thanks / Like

Well we are definitely moving in the right direction, I do appreciate the assistance. The exports at 100% are indeed 255, but at 50% it's 127, and 25 is 63... Not perfect and I can always adjust the code, maybe I'm just using this in a very unconventional way.

Post Thanks / Like

It's actually correct. in 8 bit math, half of 255 is 127. I did the mental math wrong in my previous post.

One of the overarching themes of Vixen is that it abstracts concepts that you don't really need to worry about. If you're doing lighting intensities, it doesn't really matter if you're sending a value of 127 or 128.
    If you really want the exact values, then the custom value is the way to go. That's why it's there, for those off cases where you do need an actual value, like setting a DMX control channel to a specific value on a moving light to set a parameter. But in those cases then you wouldn't use color, or a color breakdown filter in the patching flow. That should work that way.

Anyone using the csv export is doing something that's not mainstream. The only thing we include it for is that it helps us verify the export output in a human readable fashion. There's no standard systems that make use of it.

Post Thanks / Like

This year I used relays to control some motorized spinners I made. I was initially trying to use pixel data to decode the relay but didnít make much progress there. What worked for me was using a Renard SS8 AC controller that I had. I took out the optoís driving the triacs and ran the input to opto (output of pic) to a small 5V relay board that you can get on Amazon cheap. Then in Vixen itís just a single item channel that you can use Set Level to turn ON/ OFF. Iím sure there are other ways to do this but I already had the HW so worked well for me.