Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible bug in Vixen Tree Effect

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Possible bug in Vixen Tree Effect

Yes, if you export at 50ms, that should be a usable workaround and get you by till we can fix it.

This is irrelevant to the problem since you've isolated it now. But there's two versions of FSEQ files. One for FPP versions before 2.6, and one for 2.6 forward. They call the newer one FSEQ 2.0. There's two FPP export options in the exporter. Part of the fseq 2.0 format is that it allows compression in the file. This makes your file size much smaller. We have a separate checkbox for that when the 2.0 version is selected. I only asked which version you were using in case it was indeed an exporter problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all the help. Yes, I was exporting at 2.6 forward.

Bug ticket submitted. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Update: I exported all FSEQ files at 50ms to FPP this morning and played the entire show. All Vixen effects played as they should. There are more than the "Tree" effects that were impacted by this. I will update the bug ticket with the those effects once I get through show season and am able to spend more time testing all Vixen effects on the Mega Tree.

Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

The Tree effect is fixed in the latest development build. Let us know if you find any others, but a large block of them that could have been affected where updated a year ago when the feature update was made.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Jeff. I'm going to try and test the others hopefully this next week.

I appreciate all the hard work that is put into Vixen Software. Even if this had not been resolved during the show season, I would still be using the software. Jon gave me a workaround so all is good here.

One thing that I probably need to learn about is the reasoning behind 25ms, 50ms. and 100ms exporting of FSEQ files and why one be used over another.. I assumed that I needed to use 25 ms without really understanding if it would benefit my show or not. My decision was based on the amount of fast paced timed effects my wife uses with the sequences. Can you direct me on where I can find this information so I can better understand what speed I should be selecting for export and why?

Post Thanks / Like

The sequence timing is the refresh rate for your show. It describes how frequently changes are sent to the lights. It's either expressed in timing such as 25ms, 50ms, or in frames per second, like 20fps, 40fps,etc. To convert from timing to frames, divide 1000 by the timing. 25ms = 40fps. 50ms = 20fps.
    In general, the faster the refresh, the more smooth your effects will look, especially in fast moving sections. As you get slower, you'll start to notice a stair stepping effect. When you're dealing with very high contrast visuals such as bright lights against darkness, a fast refresh rate doesn't matter as much because it takes your eyes more time to adjust to the changes.
    Also important to remember is that 25ms sends out twice as much data as 50ms. So your network needs to be able to handle it. And the files will be twice as big too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12