Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible bug in Vixen Tree Effect

Post Thanks / Like

Default Possible bug in Vixen Tree Effect

I hope it’s me and not Vixen 3.7.3. I’m using the “Tree” effect on my Mega 30’ Mega Tree. This is the third year using my Mega Tree in the show and it is playing everything else correctly. What I’m seeing is this. If I put a one second “Tree” effect on my Mega Tree and select the appropriate speed, when I view this in Vixen Preview, I can get all the branches (10) to light up from bottom to top correctly one time as I would expect in Vixen Preview. When I export this to FPP and play the one second sequence, it will light from bottom to top as I expect but will do it twice instead of just once in that one second interval. It appears to be doubling the speed of the effect when it is exported.

To check this, I made a new sequence and used a new “Tree” effect with a one second play time. Then by slowing the speed of the effect down to where only half of the branches(5) (running bottom to top) light up in the Vixen Preview, I should expect to see that same effect on the same branches on the physical tree. When I export this to FPP and play it on the Mega Tree, the effect will run through all 10 tree branches, bottom to top, in the one second interval. Thus I get the correct effect on the physical tree but it doesn’t match what is showing in Vixen Preview.

Hope I’m wrong because it’s usually me that creates problems for myself, not the software.

And thanks guys for all the hard work on making a great product. Our show is a hit here in Alaska.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Possible bug in Vixen Tree Effect

Are you maybe using FPP Master and remote, and possible exporting at different speeds. one 50 and the other 25 ???
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

While I am running a Master/Remote setup, the remote does not operate this prop. The prop runs hardwired off the FPP Master to a network switch. That was a good idea though. Never thought about how that could jam someone up. It would seem if that was the issue, other effects would be impacted on the Mega Tree as well. Since you raised the question, I re exported it to FPP again, verifying 25 MS. 5 Branches on the Mega Tree light in one second effect in Vixen Preview and all 10 branches light on the physical Mega Tree prop in one second. Just wanted to try and rule out my bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe you need a faster computer to keep up with Pi.....hahaha.

Good luck getting resolved.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

That's pretty funny.

Just talked with my master sequencer (wife) and she informed me that she felt that the liquid effect was also running twice as fast on the Mega Tree as well compared to the Vixen Preview. "If" that is true, then I'm not sure what to think at this point . Makes me wonder if all the Vixen effects that have type of speed configuration are being impacted by something other than Vixen software. Either my computer as it exports files or FPP software issues. What would make some Vixen effects play double the speed in the show compared to what I see in the Vixen Preview?

Post Thanks / Like

I'd suggest you raise a bug ticket for this one. It is possible that there's something going on there. Though if it is what I'm thinking, it should be consistent across most pixel effects.
    Does it work correctly if you export with 50ms timing?
    Which FSEQ version are you exporting for?

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! You guys have this thing dialed in. I didn't know how else to figure out where the problem was. I am able to put any speed on any one of the (16) one second "Tree " effects in the new sequence I 'm using for the testing of this issue and at export of 50ms it plays correctly on the physical Mega Tree and in the Vixen Preview. I had exported all my FSEQ files at 25ms using the Vixen Export Wizard to FPP for the show that is currently running.

My wife commented to me today that she felt that there were several Vixen effects impacted by this but didn't want to say anything to me since we had so much difficulty getting the show up and running this year. She has the eye and ear for sequncing. I just build props, wire, ect.

So I've only been able to run a test on the "Tree Effect" at 50 ms to confirm that it plays exactly as it shows in Vixen Preview. Showtime is 30 minutes from now so testing on some of the other effects will have to wait until tomorrow.

I don't know how to answer your FSEQ version question. Not really versed on some of this stuff.

Should I wait to submit a Bug Ticket until I check some other effects tomorrow?

Thanks for getting back to me on this.

Post Thanks / Like

Jon,

After testing tomorrow, will it be okay to re-export all my sequences at 50ms to FPP so that they play correctly? I'm running around 52,000 channels for the 1 hour show.

Post Thanks / Like

Go ahead and start the ticket now and link this thread in the comments. You can always add more detail to the ticket later as you discover more.

I know we made a change this year to render pixel effects based on the actual update rate of the engine. It used to be that pixel effects always rendered at 50ms regardless of the engine rate. The exporter actually changes the engine sampling rate (update interval) to match the export while it's exporting. So that explains why you're seeing it differently in preview than in the exported file. Your update interval for the engine is probably set to the default 50ms (and should usually stay that way).
    Some effects needed more work than others to get them to behave correctly with this new method. Some of them needed further modifications to make them render based on sequence time rather than the update interval. We probably missed this one.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll go work on the bug ticket now. Sorry I'm so dense here with what you wrote but it sounds like I will probably be okay to go backs to a re-export of 50ms to FPP tomorrow. Did I get that right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast