Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Issue w/ DIYLedExpress Bridge and FPP

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Issue w/ DIYLedExpress Bridge and FPP

Quote Originally Posted by iflights View Post
    This is the point where I would bring the bridge into the house, and create the smallest network possible of just the computer, and the bridge, a short network cable, and extender(s), and some pixels at the kitchen table. (No need to do this outside). Run the sequences and see if the bridge freezes up. If it does, you now know it is something on that table that is causing the problem.
    That's a great idea... Lot's of testing to do this week.

Thanks for the suggestions

Post Thanks / Like

What happens if you run a test sequence from FPP to the bridge? Do you have the issue then?

Are you running a separate show network?
    Does the Bridge have a static IP?
    If yes, does your router have a range set aside for static IPs?
    Have you tried running a constant ping to the bridge while the show is running to determine if the connection is being dropped completely?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjetzer View Post
    What happens if you run a test sequence from FPP to the bridge? Do you have the issue then?

Are you running a separate show network?
    Does the Bridge have a static IP?
    If yes, does your router have a range set aside for static IPs?
    Have you tried running a constant ping to the bridge while the show is running to determine if the connection is being dropped completely?
    Unfortunately neither one of us had time this past weekend to work on the issue. He had just unplugged the bridge and ran the rest of the show. Two nights ago, just for S's & G's, he plugged it back in and it's been working fine ever since... a true WTF moment for sure.

But to answer your questions;
    I did run a test sequence previously, and it ran fine

He is not running a separate show network

The bridge does have a static IP address

I don't know if his router has a range set aside or not. He has Cox with their garbage panoramic wifi router, which has given me many problems on others' homes that I've been helping to get into this insanity. But the issues I've had previously do not match this issue.

I have not pinged the board in the way you are describing. My "instructions" to him were, upon the board freezing up, attempt to access the ip address to see if it's lost connection with the network or just the pi player. I think his frustration got in the way of this last task being completely as he just unplugged it and left it out of the show. Since it seems to be working again, I've told him if it freezes again to attempt to access the board.

I appreciate your response and suggestions. I'll update if it freezes up again.

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhhh.....I think everyone assumed he was running a separate show network.
    I wonder if the static IP he has assigned to the bridge is within the DHCP range and perhaps its IP is being assigned to another device knocking the bridge off the network?
    A quick check on the router to verify the DHCP pool is outside that of the bridge should be easy enough.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

I had thought of that... When I checked the router (at that time) there was nothing else connected using that same IP address. One reason I thought this wasn't the case is it would freeze, then release, freeze again (at a random time) then release. Some of the time it would freeze and not release. My networking illiterate thinking was that if it was another device using that same IP, it should freeze and not release. But I think this is something that is worth looking into further for sure.

Thanks for the response... much appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Popo-B-Trippin View Post
    He is not running a separate show network
    One reason I thought this wasn't the case is it would freeze, then release, freeze again (at a random time) then release. Some of the time it would freeze and not release.
    So I have been watching this thread, but didn't really have anything useful to add, I guess I made the same assumptions as others about isolated network ect. So the only times I have seen this was when there were two transmitters, meaning someone had a show computer running and a second device open to do some testing or edits, this second device was inactive but was also transmitting to the bridge. The bridge is just a dumb device, it just puts what it received in a queue if newer data is received before the current buffer is sent its replaced. This would cause say all 0's to fill in the buffers before the real data was sent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlovely View Post
    So I have been watching this thread, but didn't really have anything useful to add, I guess I made the same assumptions as others about isolated network ect. So the only times I have seen this was when there were two transmitters, meaning someone had a show computer running and a second device open to do some testing or edits, this second device was inactive but was also transmitting to the bridge. The bridge is just a dumb device, it just puts what it received in a queue if newer data is received before the current buffer is sent its replaced. This would cause say all 0's to fill in the buffers before the real data was sent.
    The controllers in the sequencer (Vixen 3) are turned off, so the only thing transmitting to the bridge is the pi player. I've had him double check to make sure the sequencer wasn't even open when the show was running and the freezing was occurring.

I think the big test to complete is if/when it freezes again, to attempt to access the bridge via the IP address since the pi player is showing it is losing contact with the bridge. If we can access the bridge while it is frozen, then it seems it would be a pi issue, if we can't access it, then it seems it would be a bridge issue (including the possible ip address issues mentioned above).

I was hoping you were seeing this, Dave... thanks for the input.

Post Thanks / Like

I had thought of that... When I checked the router (at that time) there was nothing else connected using that same IP address. One reason I thought this wasn't the case is it would freeze, then release, freeze again (at a random time) then release. Some of the time it would freeze and not release. My networking illiterate thinking was that if it was another device using that same IP, it should freeze and not release. But I think this is something that is worth looking into further for sure.

Thanks for the response... much appreciated
    Your networking illiterate thinking is valid however in this world of mobile devices that come and go and can be put to sleep it's possible to have an IP conflict. Make sure the IP that is assigned to the bridge is outside the DHCP pool of the router.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjetzer View Post
    Your networking illiterate thinking is valid however in this world of mobile devices that come and go and can be put to sleep it's possible to have an IP conflict. Make sure the IP that is assigned to the bridge is outside the DHCP pool of the router.
    Absolutely something to look into.

Thanks, Todd

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123