Thread: Software for single strand to music

Post Thanks / Like

Question Software for single strand to music

I'm looking all over for some software with a good GUI to sync a "show" to music on a single LED strip (Like 150 LEDs). What I'm trying to achieve is something like having certain LEDs light up corresponding with notes from a piano (Just a tiny portion of what I want to do though).

I've been playing with XLights, and it's very powerful, but it's designed for a much bigger production, and seems to not have easy functionality to get as fine of control as I'm looking for.

What I envision is an interface with a timeline, and the music's waveform along the top. Below would be a matrix representing each led vertically, and time on the horizontal axis:
    Mockup.jpg

Along the left, there'd be tools to draw shapes and stuff. As the time marker moves from left to right, the column of color on that line would be what displays on the strip.

A pattern like this would produce a "Knight Rider" type scanner effect:
    2020-12-08_130449.jpg

Please, please, someone tell me this exists.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Software for single strand to music

I don't know about drawing the shapes, but xLights might still be what you are looking for. If you have a string defined, double click on the string. It will show the individual strands. In your case a single string will only show 1 strand. Then double click on the strand and it will show the individual nodes. As for the grid, you can add 50ms or 100ms timing tracks or even define your own timings based on the song. That will be your grid. Unfortunately, there is no just draw shapes, but there are a lot of simple effects that will automatically draw what you're looking for. The picture attached is "drawn" using the single strand effect. That will produce a Kit Knight Rider effect.
    xl.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain this and even provide a screenshot.

I had no idea you could expand a strand and view a list of nodes. That's very helpful.

This allows me to view what an effect will display, but it really doesn't allow me to create a truly custom effect. I did discover the "pictures" effect though. Applying that effect to my strand with these settings:
    ShowScreenshot.jpg
    and using this image:
    test2.jpg

Resulted in the control i'm looking for, but it's tedious. It's a start, but it's going to require creating the image in Photoshop or equivalent, saving, and importing to XLights to test. I'll need to figure out how to make some sort of timing marks on the image in Photoshop to get things snapped to the beat...

I suppose this is what I'm up against - Until my programming chops are up to creating my own application....

Post Thanks / Like

I use Vixen 3 and the picture function to create an animated section of keyboard or singing faces. I use clipart sometimes to start an image. I edit the image in an image editing program. Basically you are are creating a movie frame. The effect depends on grid size. Mine is 25 high by 32 wide. For the keyboard, I create an image for every depressed key pattern I need. I find it much easier to use a series of images to create animation than trying to address individual pixels. I haven`t used XLights but maybe this technique would work in it. It is pretty tedious, but doable.