Thread: FM transmitter stops randomly. Si4713 Adafruit

Post Thanks / Like

Question FM transmitter stops randomly. Si4713 Adafruit

Got this issue last year my fix was restarting fppd at the end of the playlist. That's kind of annoying now. Is there a way to turn on or reset the transmitter from the reset pin during the playlists just in case it shuts down randomly. Or even better when it detects the the transmitter stops working I can just turn it back on... Idk if it's a bug. I have a pi 3 b+ and the latest fpp version. This transmitter is nice with it's RDS, just hate how it shuts off randomly. It can be the pi too I guess.
    Crazy Light Addict.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: FM transmitter stops randomly. Si4713 Adafruit

I haven't heard other reports of that problem with the FM transmitter. Lots of people are using those with the Kulp boards now. Is there maybe a loose connection? Not enough power?

I'm not super familiar with those, but it seems like you could wire up the reset pin to a GPIO. There are GPIO options under "FPP Command" when making a playlist. Perhaps get the GPIO stuff wired up and then have the device reset after each cycle of the playlist? I'd be curious to hear if you get this going!
    https://RudolphSearch.com - Making it easier to find info across the Christmas Light forums!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    I haven't heard other reports of that problem with the FM transmitter. Lots of people are using those with the Kulp boards now. Is there maybe a loose connection? Not enough power?

I'm not super familiar with those, but it seems like you could wire up the reset pin to a GPIO. There are GPIO options under "FPP Command" when making a playlist. Perhaps get the GPIO stuff wired up and then have the device reset after each cycle of the playlist? I'd be curious to hear if you get this going!
    But it still works after restarting fppd, so can it still be a loose wire? Power, I have a 5.1v 3A PSU for the pi. That's plenty? The transmitter is running off the gpio power pins.

I saw the fpp gpio controls. It seems the gpio pin 4 for the reset pin is not showing up in the list.
    Last edited by Spankyty; 12-01-2020 at 09:32 PM.
    Crazy Light Addict.

Post Thanks / Like

The power is probably enough, unless you have a high load on it and/or a bunch of USB things plugged into it. I've seen people who are fine when it is idle, but when it gets to an intense sequence and puts the CPU under load... then starts drawing more power. It can cause some power sags, which causes unpredictable things to happen... like USB devices disconnecting/disappearing. I could imagine it could cause odd things to happen to other devices too. It is a long shot, but that's where I was coming from.

You seem to be on the right path with the GPIO stuff, but not sure why it wouldn't show pin4 unless it somehow has that reserved for some reason.
    https://RudolphSearch.com - Making it easier to find info across the Christmas Light forums!

Post Thanks / Like

The power is probably enough, unless you have a high load on it and/or a bunch of USB things plugged into it. I've seen people who are fine when it is idle, but when it gets to an intense sequence and puts the CPU under load... then starts drawing more power. It can cause some power sags, which causes unpredictable things to happen... like USB devices disconnecting/disappearing. I could imagine it could cause odd things to happen to other devices too. It is a long shot, but that's where I was coming from.

You seem to be on the right path with the GPIO stuff, but not sure why it wouldn't show pin4 unless it somehow has that reserved for some reason.
    Might be the intense sequence, since I only have a Renard SS24 and 12 channel custom controller connected to the USB ports. Still need a way to bypass it so it doesn't shut off on me. I'm wondering if I get the reset pin working, would it be ok after each sequence to turn the reset pin on then off and how long does it take to reset is my question. Would it be noticable if I place a reset after each sequence?

I appreciate your help, you gave me some insights on why it can happen.

Sent from my Moto G7 Power using Tapatalk
    Crazy Light Addict.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: FM transmitter stops randomly. Si4713 Adafruit

Found the pins! Also found source code on how long it takes to reset. In Adafruits library there is a setup method and inside that, there is the reset.
    Code:
    void setup ()
    {
    	//	IO
    	pinMode(PIN_RES, OUTPUT);
    	pinMode(PIN_SCL, OUTPUT);
    	pinMode(PIN_BTN, INPUT_PULLUP);

//	wdt
    	wdt_enable(WDTO);

//	PCINT3 change
    	PCMSK |= (1 << PCINT3);
    	GIMSK |= (1 << PCIE);

//	interrupts enable
    	sei();

//	alternate shorlist / fullband mode
    	if (read_btn() != BTN_OPEN)
    	{
    		use_list = !use_list;
    		wait_open_btn(); // (wdt_reset)
    	}

//	si74xx reset
    	digitalWrite(PIN_RES, LOW);
    	digitalWrite(PIN_SCL, LOW);
    	delayMicroseconds(100);
    	digitalWrite(PIN_RES, HIGH);

//	i2c init
    	TinyWireM.begin();

//	si741x/2x power up and configure
    	power_up();
    	gpio_ctl();
    	configure();
    	tune_power();
    }
    So in FPP, I did this:
    fpp.jpg

I am hoping this works. I put it after the assumed song that caused it to stop working. Should I worry about the 100millisecond delay? And should I also set SCL to low as well?
    Crazy Light Addict.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! I hope that works for your situation. I'm not sure about the SCL.

The delay could be important. I had a GPIO project for a garage door, where I was simulating pressing the garage door opener. If it was too quick, it wouldn't reliably initiate it, so I had to play with the timing to be long enough. I would expect this situation to be quite a bit different and might handle a very brief change. If you don't find your GPIO steps working, you could probably add some random command in between and it would cause a long enough delay to be sufficient. Worst case scenario, you might be able to create a 1 sec empty sequence to put in between. Just some ideas.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! I hope that works for your situation. I'm not sure about the SCL.

The delay could be important. I had a GPIO project for a garage door, where I was simulating pressing the garage door opener. If it was too quick, it wouldn't reliably initiate it, so I had to play with the timing to be long enough. I would expect this situation to be quite a bit different and might handle a very brief change. If you don't find your GPIO steps working, you could probably add some random command in between and it would cause a long enough delay to be sufficient. Worst case scenario, you might be able to create a 1 sec empty sequence to put in between. Just some ideas.
    I may need the SCL but most likely the delay since the FPP GPIO command turned the transmitter off completely. I had to restart fppd. Maybe I can look into the plugin code for its startup and make a script from it. But first I will try the delay.
    I don't mind the transmitter going out for a couple of seconds but I do mind the lights going out.
    Crazy Light Addict.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea so there is still no solution to this. It did not work what I have done.
    Crazy Light Addict.

Post Thanks / Like

I think your problem is power. You should certainly try powering the external peripherals separately from the power supply for the PI. I've not found the PI's USB ports to be very robust; they're nowhere near as strong as a desktop PC, regardless of what they say. Try a powered USB hub and then plug the hub into the PI's USB port for the data connection. What I've discovered is that things just stop working when there's a power issue and you don't get much warning.

http://digwdf.org/store/
    Even though the DIGWDF Store has been closed for almost three years, it's still awesome!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.