Thread: Why no Spinner Smart Object Model?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Why no Spinner Smart Object Model?

Just wondering why there is still no spinner Smart Object. Super to make a custom Spinner in XLights but seems to be missing in Vixen even in latest 3.7u2.

I like Vixen but I have had nothing but problems with the custom prop editor... took me hours to make a snowflake model with several subgroups and to me the whole process was confusing a heck. I might try it again but dreading the copying and naming of all the pixels and getting them in the right folders (groups). Just wasn't fun for me at all and i had to start over several times to get it close to what I wanted. So I was really hoping that a year later that a basic Spinner Model would be added. How many Legs, How Many Pixels Per Leg and draw it..... why not? Somepeople say XLights is harder to use but not when it comes to custom props... seems much better to me in that regard. (Bummed)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Why no Spinner Smart Object Model?

I guess you have not looked at the Starburst smart object? It has options for number spoke and pixels per spoke and looks just like a spinner. It has been there for a long time.......

Post Thanks / Like

Oh man I apologize... didnít realize that! Thanks for letting me know and responding so quick Iím going to check that out tomorrow. I should have known.

But I did have a lot of problems making the snowflake last year with custom prop editor... not the initial model but all the sub groups of arrows and branches. It was very tedious and when I finally got it right I had another problem where one of the instances (I had 5 total) had a completely different display when all 5 used the same sequence. Anyway this year itís spinners so hopefully will be more straight forward!

Post Thanks / Like

Are you aware that the custom prop editor opens xModel files? If you have an xModel file for your custom prop, you can simply open that in the custom prop editor and start from there. Or just use it as is.
    The vixen custom prop format is generally higher resolution and can contain additional data that makes it easier to do more creative sequencing in vixen, but you don't have to do all the extra groupings if you don't want to.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, no I didnít know that, very helpful information!

Post Thanks / Like

There were also a few bugs fixed over the last year in the prop editor around creating the groupings and manipulating them. There are also advantages for doing face props in that you can define all the mappings in the prop editor and those are automatically setup when they are imported into the preview based on that info. Wire order can be specified in the prop which facilitates automated patching in the correct order.

The prop editor adds a lot of value and once you build a few of them and get the hang of it, it can become a very useful tool. I built some flat grid style mini pixel trees of my own design this year that I was able to model in the prop editor. I mapped out faces in the grid and created all the specialized groupings I needed to make the prop work along with the specific wire order. I have 8 of them and once the prop was modeled it was very efficient to set all 8 of them up and patch them. I printed out the wire order diagram from there to ensure I wired them correctly when I built them. I modeled and spent some time sequencing them before they were built to ensure they would work as I intended.