Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "SOME" Effects not working on pixels

Post Thanks / Like

Default "SOME" Effects not working on pixels

I am seeing a weird issue where a number of the effects will not light up either at all or correctly on my megatree (8 stings of 25 pixels each). The preview shows correctly. Some however, "do" work correctly so this tells me the "basics" are correct (universe number, patching).

Example the Garland effect works correctly on the megatree (actual strings light up and preview). However, the spiral does not light up (only in preview).

Alternating, Pinwheel, or text do not work on the actual pixels (but again preview does).
    Morph only shows one color. The tree has the base color set to red, the "preview" shows the random pixels change to the defined colors, blue, green. The actual tree only shows red with the random pixels just blinking red when they should be changing to the random colors.

Running on a F48 (using the first smart board).. the confusing part is some effects do work while others do not?

Has anyone seen anything like this?

Just updated to the latest Vixen 3 this evening still having the same issue.
    I also created a new sequence and having the same issue.

Thanks for any assistance ahead of time.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: "SOME" Effects not working on pixels

There is likely a setup issue either in the preview linking or the patching so we need to take a look at those. You can inspect all of that, or start with something basic and use a set level and move it from string to string and see what happens. You will likely find some flavor of them not working correctly and those are the ones you need to look at. You may need to go down to the pixel level. If you are not able to spot the issue, then we can look at some screen shots or even the full profile and I am sure we can figure it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jeff,
    So right now when I create a new sequence and add the set level to the megatree (effect preview set to on ) the pixels do not light up.
    However, right next to it I add the pulse and they all light up correctly (pulsing).

Of course let me know what other information you need...

thanks again!
    I have attached to two pics (set level is off, pulse in on)
    Pulse_on.jpegSet_Level_off.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffu231 View Post
    There is likely a setup issue either in the preview linking or the patching so we need to take a look at those. You can inspect all of that, or start with something basic and use a set level and move it from string to string and see what happens. You will likely find some flavor of them not working correctly and those are the ones you need to look at. You may need to go down to the pixel level. If you are not able to spot the issue, then we can look at some screen shots or even the full profile and I am sure we can figure it out.
    Please see above post. not 100% sure how to tag you in the reply yet. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spencerboysdad View Post
    Thanks Jeff,
    So right now when I create a new sequence and add the set level to the megatree (effect preview set to on ) the pixels do not light up.
    However, right next to it I add the pulse and they all light up correctly (pulsing).

Of course let me know what other information you need...

thanks again!
    I have attached to two pics (set level is off, pulse in on)
    Pulse_on.jpegSet_Level_off.jpeg
    Are you using dimming curves in the patching chain? If so I need to see the curve you are using. In Display Setup, expand your mega tree down to select a single pixel in a string. Then switch to graphical view in the middle section. You will see a dimming curve box in the view attached to the pixel. Double click that and the curve editor will appear. Sanp an image of that for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep! I do have a dimming curve assigned. Please pic see below.
    Note there is no reason specifically why I have one. I saw another thread somewhere while "learning" this and it mentioned it was better to have a curve assigned at model creation or it was difficult or not possible to add one later.
    dimming_curve.jpg
    In short.. if I need to remove or change the curve please let me know..

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, there is the problem as I suspected. So that dimming curve works as a value mapping. In that setup when a 100% value comes in it is telling it to dim it to zero. So the set level has 100% brightness all the time. Every value that comes in gets dimmed to 0. But the middle of the curve is at 100% so that takes lower brightness values and increases their brightness. So even the pulse on the lights probably start off dim and ramps up very fast and then the very tail end of it goes to zero, but you don't realize it. If you set the set level to something like 50% it would work.

So now how do you fix it. You can remove the dimming curve and that will fix it. But if your goal is to dim the pixels some to reduce the brightness, we need to adjust the curve. The dimming curve should take some form of ramp from zero on the left to whatever the max is you want on the right. So if you want a simple linear dimming to cut the pixels back to 80% brightness it would look like a / with the left at zero and the top right at 80. If you want them to be 50%, then the top right value would be 50. That is the basic form for dimming. You can get fancier with drawing gamma curves which are a curved or bowed ramp to compensate for the linearity of how the human eye sees them, but that is more advanced.

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff, Thanks for the help here. Greatly appreciated.. I have removed the Curve and no luck. I then created a new curve and left default (0 to 100) and another straight lined with 80.. Neither worked for the "set level".. I'll see if I can work around this but it looks like the following do not work for me on the "megatree" -

Ok so small update is I tried all of the affects and the below affects do NOT work on the megatree. However, all work on my hanging faces.

"Basic Lighting - alternating and dissolve, Pixel Lighting - Balls. Bars (really want this one), Meteors, PinWheel, Shapes, Spiral, Spirograph, Text, Tree (but only one color, ones that are supposed to change just blink the default color. )

I'm going to look at the megatree strings and compare to other.. anything stick out from what I've put above? I didnt want to start re-creating just in case you see something common above.

thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

small data point is the megatree is on a F48 (smart board 1) and the faces are on a SANDevice E6804. looking into :-)

Post Thanks / Like

If I add "3D" on bars the megatree starts to work. I'll update another reply once I test changing anything on the affect settings with these-

Alternating and dissolve, Pixel Lighting - Balls. Bars (really want this one), Meteors, PinWheel, Shapes, Spiral, Spirograph, Text, Tree

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast