Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gilbert Engineering Grand Illusion

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gilbert Engineering Grand Illusion

It's a big circle with cnc cut pixel holes. Technically I think it's a spinner. Just having trouble in the sequencing tab getting any effects that look remotely like what I see on youtube from experienced people.

Any suggestions are welcome....is it an effect? is it a render style? How the heck are these things done?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Gilbert Engineering Grand Illusion

What software are you using to sequence?
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2019 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2020 - Emergency Conversion to Falcon F48 with limited wireless

Post Thanks / Like

It’s probably a boat load of sub models on that prop. And a bit of masks/rendering choices.

Post Thanks / Like

Well.......Xlights is what I am trying to learn as a newbie.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rowcat View Post
    Well.......Xlights is what I am trying to learn as a newbie.
    That is what I use as well. I have been working with it for about 4 years now, but I while I THINK I could recreate some of the effects they show in the promo video, I would be hard pressed to do them all. As Cdanna77 said, a boat load of submodels and use of layers and masking.

Wow!
    2016 - No Display
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights
    2019 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights

Post Thanks / Like

This is very easy to recreate or do similar . It's a simple matrix . Ae or similar to do this .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TomL8345 View Post
    That is what I use as well. I have been working with it for about 4 years now, but I while I THINK I could recreate some of the effects they show in the promo video, I would be hard pressed to do them all. As Cdanna77 said, a boat load of submodels and use of layers and masking.

Wow!
    Could you explain what you mean by sub models and rendering choices? I think I get what you mean, but also for someone reading this who doesn't know what you mean

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XmasinVancouver View Post
    Could you explain what you mean by sub-models and rendering choices? I think I get what you mean, but also for someone reading this who doesn't know what you mean
    In XLights, submodels are exactly that, a smaller portion of the overall model. For example on my Singing Snowmen, I have sub-models of the Stocking cap Outline, Stocking Cap Ball, Stocking Cap matrix, Face outline, Eyes, Mouth, Spinner 1 (upper body), Spinner 1 Rays, Spinner 1 Circles, Spinner 2 (Lower Body). These sub-models let me apply effects to just part of the whole prop.(Red Hat, white ball, green eyes, red lips)

Changing the Render Style of the effect will change how the effect looks on the prop. I just used the Bars effect on the snowflakes on my house. By changing the Render Style, I was able to drastically change the way the effect behaves on the props.

Masking is done to limit the portion on the prop that is active. By adding masks, you can drop effects like PinWheels over large sections of you display.

You can probably get better descriptions of each of these attributes on the XLights forum or Facebook page. Also they have very helpful Zoom meetings every Wednesday to assist in working through problems.

HTH
    2016 - No Display

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TomL8345 View Post
    In XLights, submodels are exactly that, a smaller portion of the overall model. For example on my Singing Snowmen, I have sub-models of the Stocking cap Outline, Stocking Cap Ball, Stocking Cap matrix, Face outline, Eyes, Mouth, Spinner 1 (upper body), Spinner 1 Rays, Spinner 1 Circles, Spinner 2 (Lower Body). These sub-models let me apply effects to just part of the whole prop.(Red Hat, white ball, green eyes, red lips)

Changing the Render Style of the effect will change how the effect looks on the prop. I just used the Bars effect on the snowflakes on my house. By changing the Render Style, I was able to drastically change the way the effect behaves on the props.

Masking is done to limit the portion on the prop that is active. By adding masks, you can drop effects like PinWheels over large sections of you display.

You can probably get better descriptions of each of these attributes on the XLights forum or Facebook page. Also they have very helpful Zoom meetings every Wednesday to assist in working through problems.

HTH
    Ah! Not helpful for me as I'm in vixen, but very helpful in general, thanks for the info

Post Thanks / Like

Vixen does the same thing using groups and layers. Sub models are a sub group of pixels mapped to your overall prop.

2021 New Tune-to sign. New 40x27 matrix at the house. Retiring the Strip based matrix. Updating some of the old window frames to the new house. Adding two new songs.
    2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast