Thread: Changing Software

Post Thanks / Like

Question Changing Software

Hi all,

This year I am thinking about going to a different software to sequence my show and possibly to run it as well. Currently I am using the newest version of Light-O-Rama S5 advanced to sequence and run my show. After watching a couple of youtube videos I have decided that either xlights of vixen would be better. The LOR software all of a sudden seems limiting. Which one should I use? Right now I am leaning towards Vixen; it seems to have a more user friendly interface and I like the layers and the effects that it has. Xlights seems to be overly complicated but is it worth learning? I was also thinking about running my show off of a raspberry pi with fpp instead of a laptop. I noticed that Vixen doesn't support LOR controllers but if I use fpp to run the show which does support them, could I still use LOR protocol or would I need to switch to DMX. I also have a couple of renards that I was going to run on their own network. Here's the big question: can I convert my LOR sequences so that I can use them in Xlights/Vixen?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Changing Software

Download both Vixen & xLights and play with them. See which one "feels right or makes sense" to you. Both have good instructional Videos to get you started.

I know that xlights does have an import for LOR sequences, not sure about Vixen.
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like xlights will convert old lightorama sequences but not the new .loredit ones. Is there a different way to convert them?

Post Thanks / Like

Xlights happily imports loredit files. See the import menu.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I got most of one sequence converted but for some reason it does not like the leaping arches. I checked and rechecked my mapping but it was correct. Everything else worked perfectly but it would not put any effects on the leaping arch channels. It didn't give any error messages though. I'm wondering if it is because the importing loredit files function is still in the beta stages. Is there a way in Light-O-Rama to export a sequence in the old format? (.lms)

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the pop up tells you what to do if you have issues with the import.