Thread: Renard -- RS485 to RJ-45 adapter wiring

Post Thanks / Like

Default Renard -- RS485 to RJ-45 adapter wiring

I need help understanding how to correctly wire my USB to RS-485 adapter to a DB9--RJ-45 adapter so that I can use straight through CAT5 cables to my Renard SS controllers.

I have read the following reference page for Renard data cables:
    Renard Data Cables - doityourselfchristmas.com

Can someone please verify that I just need to do the following:

1. pin 1&2 from the RJ-45 are tied together and connected to pin 5 on the DB9.
    2. pin 4 on RJ45 connects to pin 1 on DB9
    3. pin 5 on RJ45 connects to pin 2 on DB9

Thanks in advance.

Frank

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Renard -- RS485 to RJ-45 adapter wiring

is that the adapter you have in the picture? if so you have the rs485 adapter the part with the screw terminals
    Last edited by TazChaLet; 04-01-2016 at 10:56 AM.
    James WinterHaven Fl

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankP123 View Post
    I need help understanding how to correctly wire my USB to RS-485 adapter to a DB9--RJ-45 adapter so that I can use straight through CAT5 cables to my Renard SS controllers.

I have read the following reference page for Renard data cables:
    Renard Data Cables - doityourselfchristmas.com

Can someone please verify that I just need to do the following:

1. pin 1&2 from the RJ-45 are tied together and connected to pin 5 on the DB9.
    2. pin 4 on RJ45 connects to pin 1 on DB9
    3. pin 5 on RJ45 connects to pin 2 on DB9

Thanks in advance.

Frank
    If you have the one in your link and have the adapter board, just cut one end of the cat5 cable and wire it to the adapter board

Adapter board signal T-/A connects to RJ45-pin 4 (blue CAT5 wire)
    Adapter board signal T+/B connects to RJ45-pin 5 (blue/white CAT5 wire)
    Adapter board GND signal connects to RJ45-pins 1 & 2 (orange and orange/white CAT5 wires)

otherwise, yes all you to do is

Modification for DE9 adapter for common RS-485 adapters

Remove the wires for unused pins (3-black, 6-yellow, 7-brown, 8-white). Cut the wires off as far down in the adapter as possible because you will need one of these wires later.
    Cut the pins off of wires for pin 1-blue, 2-orange.
    Solder the above wires together, along with one of the wires cut off in the first step.
    Use some heat shrink tubing to cover the soldered area.
    Insert the pin on the wire connecting the soldered together wires into DE9 connector pin 5.
    Insert the pin on the red wire (RJ45, pin 4) into DE9 connector pin 1.
    Insert the pin on the green wire (RJ45, pin 5) into DE9 connector pin 2.
    Last edited by Ruppro; 04-01-2016 at 12:50 PM.
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Yes... I have the Rs485 to USB adapter in the link that I sent. I do not want to use the breakout broad to RS485 included.... I would rather use
    a DE9 to RJ45 adapter directly connecting to the 9pins on the RS485 adapter.

Thanks for verifying my understanding of the instructions on the page.

Frank

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I know its an old post, hoping I get lucky .

Just got me first Renard ss24 a few weeks back and got the same dongle mentioned above. I cant get my Renard board to respond to any communication from vixen. I used the adaptor board with the rj45 wired as described in the wiki. I have tried running with and without jp2 no result. I have checked the patching, COM port assignment is 1 and baud rate is 57600 everywhere. Is there a step I am missing? The leds on the dongle show activity but nothing on the Renard board. Thanks for any help.

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you are plugged into J2 (RJ45) connector on the right. You are positive that you are using com1 and it is set to 57600 in the device manager. Make sure that the chips on the SS24 are seated, and none of the pins are bent. You are applying power to both sides of the board. Double check your wiring on your connector and then check it again. If none of these are the issue, please refer to the troubleshooting guide in the WIKI here. You WILL find out if you go through these steps.
    That's a feature not a bug.
    There's no charge for that.

Post Thanks / Like

The data cable section in the Renard SS wiki. The SS wiki should be your first source for info on them. ;)

http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com...rd#Data_Cables
    James Family Christmas - 1600 channels of SS Renard channels
    Facebook - James Family Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by appv128 View Post
    Sorry I know its an old post, hoping I get lucky .

Just got me first Renard ss24 a few weeks back and got the same dongle mentioned above. I cant get my Renard board to respond to any communication from vixen. I used the adapter board with the rj45 wired as described in the wiki. I have tried running with and without jp2 no result. I have checked the patching, COM port assignment is 1 and baud rate is 57600 everywhere. Is there a step I am missing? The leds on the dongle show activity but nothing on the Renard board. Thanks for any help.
    Invest in a USB to RJ45 RS485 adapter like this, you can also find them from different sources. it took me about 3 tries making the RS232 to RJ45 adapter and get it working, the USB dongle worked 1st time.
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all the responses. I got a RS232 cable and was able to get the board working when connecting to an old desktop I had, all channels work. Other than the fact that Vixen is crawling on it, its all good.
    I suspect that either my adaptor is bad or wiring on connector is bad. Had a second pair of eyes look at the connections already, but attached here again just to get another opinion. Asked Amazon for a replacement to see if the adaptor is faulty. If that does not help would have to get the adaptor linked above by Matt.

Thanks again for the guidance. Have been reading the wiki pages and forums to identify the issue.

1 (2).jpg
    2 (2).jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by appv128; 01-27-2021 at 12:26 AM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like

Finally was able to figure out what was happening sharing here in case anybody else runs into the same. Got a new replacement adaptor and tried hooking it up with no luck. One observation was that as soon as Vixen started the adaptor flashed green it was receiving something from Vixen. I had previously tested out a DMX 12 channel board and this was above the Renard controller entry in Setup Display. When I checked this it showed that this controller also mapped to the same COM port. I just deleted the DMX controller and Renard controller. Added the Renard back, patched the elements and played the test sequence and bam it worked!!. If I want to add the DMX controller back, I guess it will have to be after the Renard entry. Hope this helps somebody !!