Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mounting enclosures

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mounting enclosures

I was wondering if I could get some insight on how people mounted their enclosures once the board is mounted inside. Do you have bolts thru the back of the enclosure so you can slide it onto something and bolt them down? Or what does people here do? Just trying to make sure I take a good route that works and also not a route that needs done before mounting my boards inside. Any help and tips would be appreciated. I tried to find pictures, but most pictures only show the board mounted, not the enclosure mounted to an object outside.

Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Mounting enclosures

I use the CG-XX00 line of cases. What I do is punch out the holes on the circular pole supports, and use a hose clamp to secure it to a piece of scrap PVC staked into the ground. Wish I had a picture, but my control boards are currently in storage.
    2011:

5,000 lights; 48 channels.

Post Thanks / Like

You'll probably get lots of answers for this one - - there's certainly no one way to do it. I mount mine a few ways. On the back of the CG-1000 (and maybe the 2000's) there's a pole strap mount - just pop a slit on either side and run a tie wrap through that and around a 3/4" piece of PVC. I leave this on permanently so it can be sealed up from the inside as well. I then pound a piece of rebar in the ground and just put the PVC pipe over that. This makes for pretty quick install/removal. See HERE (a bit hard to see with bag over it but you can still make it out...)

I have done this on my MegaTree pole as well which is much larger around. And finally - I've mounted them directly into my trees - you should plug the screw holes back up when done though to prevent bugs getting in...
    Brian

Christmas in San Jose! on Facebook

Ignorance is Temporary - Stupidity is Forever...

Post Thanks / Like

You wouldn't believe how much this varies. Seen them just laying in the yard, mounted on a pole, in a plastic bag laying in the yard, sitting on a brick, leaning against a tree, mounted to the house, mounted to a display item, hidden inside a display item, in a special made display item to hide the controller. And that's just scratching the surface. I like them mounted to the display item but have done half the above depending on the situation.

Brian
    2009 - 48 channel MegaTree 4800 lights
    plus 3200 lights static display.
    2010 - 6 Snowflakes on heavy equipment stored in front yard :-(
    2011 - 72 channel Megatree 7520 lights,
    120 channel total about 10k lights total

Pearland, Tx (sometimes) and anywhere on the globe the rest of the time
    Post Thanks / Like

I use small drywall screws and attach them to 1x2x24" stakes or on my trees.
    WLC Ventures is now [URL="http://radiant-holidays.com"]Radiant Holidays![/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the quick responses. I was just wanting to see if running bolts thru and sealing holes was ok, but the strap spots in the back sound like a winner to me. I was wanting to use that way, but wanted to see what others were doing. Thank you again.

Post Thanks / Like

I mount mine to 1/2 inch plywood that's cut to the size of the enclosure. I paint the plywood with two or three coats of black exterior latex paint beforehand, then use hex head sheet metal screws through the mounting bosses on the back of the enclosure to mount it to the plywood. I then put a dab of silicone on the screwheads to waterproof them. I then drive a steel fence post into the ground that's been cut off to the desired height, and use hex head sheet metal screws to go through the post into the back side of the plywood, and my enclosure is mounted in the yard and ready to go.

I spray paint my enclosures dark green once they're mounted so they blend in to the darkness and look OK during the day.
    Last edited by mikentn; 06-11-2012 at 03:23 PM.
    208 channels
    2 Ren 24SS / 4 REN 16SS / 2 REN 48LSD controllers
    8 Mighty Mini RGBW floods
    1 LEDTriks
    2 Helix V3 controllers and Vixen to rule them all

Pearland, Tx (sometimes) and anywhere on the globe the rest of the time
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikentn View Post
    -I mount mine to 1/2 inch plywood that's cut to the size of the enclosure. I paint the plywood with two or three coats of black exterior latex paint beforehand, then use hex head sheet metal screws through the mounting bosses on the back of the enclosure to mount it to the plywood. I then put a dab of silicone on the screwheads to waterproof them. I then drive a steel fence post into the ground that's been cut off to the desired height, and use hex head sheet metal screws to go through the post into the back side of the plywood, and my enclosure is mounted I'm the yard and ready to go.

I spray paint my enclosures dark green once they're mounted so they blend in to the darkness and look OK during the day./

I have painted my enclosures as well...some are true camo'd and some just flat green or flat tan depending on where they are used.
    WLC Ventures is now [URL="http://radiant-holidays.com"]Radiant Holidays![/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by g2ktcf View Post
    I have painted my enclosures as well...some are true camo'd and some just flat green or flat tan depending on where they are used.
    Yep. Something about that gray plastic that just stands out to me.

I love those steel fence posts too. Cut 'em to size with a cut off wheel, pound them into the ground, and then two screws through the holes into the plywood, and done. Someone could still steal them, but they will have to work a little harder to get them.
    208 channels
    2 Ren 24SS / 4 REN 16SS / 2 REN 48LSD controllers
    8 Mighty Mini RGBW floods
    1 LEDTriks
    2 Helix V3 controllers and Vixen to rule them all

Post Thanks / Like

I generally use wooden stakes, approx 2' high. Then I use wood screws through the back to attach.

For a few cases I use bungee cords (secured by wire through loops in the enclosure) around trees, because I don't want to screw into the trees.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast