Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best design for Arches?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best design for Arches?

I am wanting to add 4 arches to my display for 2011 and have noticed a few different designs. What is everyone's favorite or best design for arches?

I was looking over this idea (link listed below), but noticed it was in segments. I like the idea, so if I needed to replace a set of mini's it would be easily acheived. Also, after the show is over and time to put everything in storage, it would not take up much room. My biggest concern is that I worry about it coming apart or not being as "solid" as a full length segment.

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/wik...tle=Light_Arch

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Best design for Arches?

Quote Originally Posted by brad2157 View Post
    I am wanting to add 4 arches to my display for 2011 and have noticed a few different designs. What is everyone's favorite or best design for arches?

I was looking over this idea (link listed below), but noticed it was in segments. I like the idea, so if I needed to replace a set of mini's it would be easily acheived. Also, after the show is over and time to put everything in storage, it would not take up much room. My biggest concern is that I worry about it coming apart or not being as "solid" as a full length segment.

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/wik...tle=Light_Arch
    That is the excat one i used this year with one change i only used 4 sections per arch for a total of 8 channels had no problem with these even in 50 mph plus wind storm they looked great and the best part was the storage the came apart real easy and packed nicely into a roll away container for next year i would say go with it i am very pleased

Post Thanks / Like

One piece is likely tougher. Joints are always weak points. Using sleeved sections (larger diameter) over a single, continuous bent pipe arch may be the best of both worlds.

I have never needed to remove a string from an arch after three years of sub-zero use.

Post Thanks / Like

As Virtus mentioned I saw a way to build the arches where you take one long piece of 1" PVC or so and then 8-10 1' sections of say 1.5" PVC and slide them over the long piece.. If you need to replace just slide them off until you get to offending section and slide a new one on. This is the way I plan on building mine this year. Storage you just slide all the 1' pieces off and put them in a box and then just have 4-8 long pieces that you can throw up in the attic or basement or shed.

Post Thanks / Like

I can tell you that the method referenced in the Wiki works perfectly. Its much cheaper and simple because it doesn't require two structures. I really don't see the need for the length of pipe. I have used mine for two seasons now. They are plenty strong. There's not weakness in the joints. While I like the Sleeve of single length method, I wanted to minimize the long lengths of pipe I had to store in my garage. I store the 26 (24 + 2 extras) sections of my 6 12' arches in a cheap trash can and stick it in the attic. They were so easy to setup this year. My 4 and 6 year old carried them down from the attic two at a time and my 15 year old put them togther and setup them up with very little guidance.

I made a simple lathe to wrap the 36" sections and it was very quick once I figured out some tricks.

You can see mine in the "Projects" section of my website:
    http://www.kentucky-christmas.com/Pr...7/Default.aspx

PM me if you have questions.

Edit: I just remembered the posting I made after last season.

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...ghlight=arches
    Last edited by kychristmas; 01-01-2011 at 11:46 PM.
    [COLOR="#A52A2A"][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][B]Dark Yard again for 2017 [/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2] Still searching for more Time and Money[/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="BLUE"][URL="https://www.facebook.com/KentuckyChristmas"]Display Facebook Page[/URL][/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like

Here is what I plan to use for 2011.

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/sh...7-Arch-Sleeves

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to try the plain Jane model. 3/4 inch pipe ten footer with 8 100ct light sets. 8 channels is easier to work with.
    2009 - 48 channel MegaTree 4800 lights
    plus 3200 lights static display.
    2010 - 6 Snowflakes on heavy equipment stored in front yard :-(
    2011 - 72 channel Megatree 7520 lights,
    120 channel total about 10k lights total

Post Thanks / Like

To help you simplify the decision...

The Wiki method uses sections of pipe that uses the flanges that are built into the 3/4" PVC to put the sections together. 100 lights per 18". Of course you can adjust that to your liking.

The Sleeve over Pipe method is very similar, but the section slide on a single length of pipe. I'm not sure how you get a single lenght of pipe that long.

In both cases, you get the advantages of sectioned arches that makes for easy replacement of bad sections and storage.

While I don't believe there's any inherent weakness in the PVC conduit joints, I think either method is great.

Plus with both methods, you can later easily turn your 4 channel arches into 8 channel ones.
    [COLOR="#A52A2A"][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][B]Dark Yard again for 2017 [/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2] Still searching for more Time and Money[/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="BLUE"][URL="https://www.facebook.com/KentuckyChristmas"]Display Facebook Page[/URL][/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skunberg View Post
    I'm going to try the plain Jane model. 3/4 inch pipe ten footer with 8 100ct light sets. 8 channels is easier to work with.
    I think that's a good option. I assume you are looking a single pipe wrapped with lights as demonstrated by Richard Holdman (and many others)?

The section method is a bit more expensive because of the extra lengths of PVC, but I feel it worth it. I actually used the cut-offs to build my midi-tree bases and stakes, mounting stakes for the 4 Channel SSRs and supports for the Megatree base ring. So there was very little waste.

Post Thanks / Like

I also use the method outlined in the wiki. The pieces come apart easily, have no weakness in the joints, flex well, and make for very easy storage in my attic. I have not had a failure, but if you do, you are only having to remove one string from either end of the section with the issue. They are very modular in the fact that you can have 8, 10, 12 channel arches depending on how many of the sections you put together.
    Tony P.

[url]www.vimeo.com/palombolights[/url]

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast