PDA

View Full Version : 128 Channel PIC Dimmer System

FireGod
06-02-2007, 08:18 PM
This system is a PWM type of system so it will work with incandesant or LEDs.

The baud rate is 115,200 bps and the I/C is running at 40 MHz.

The system consists of:
12 VAC wall wart transformer
One (1) PC Interface
Four (4) 32 Channel Field Modules
Thirty Two (32) 4 Channel SSR's

All 128 channels of data is sent to all four modules. The field modules identify their respective module numbers with hardware jumpers and only accepts the data it needs.

The plugin allows you to run 1, 2, 3, or 4 modules. 32 consecutive channels are sent to a module. The user selects the starting channel of the 32 channels.

The PC interface connects to a 9 pin RS-232 serial port on the PC. The RS-232 data is converted to RS-485 and sent to the field modules. Since the data is transmitted via RS-485, the distance of the cable between the PC Interface and the field module(s) can be a several hundred feet. I have not tested that yet, I'm working on testing ~ 150 feet.

Below is a diagram of the architecture.
http://web.olpdsl.net/firegod/Lights/Arch1.JPG

Below is a picture of the PC interface.
http://web.olpdsl.net/firegod/Lights/PC_interface.JPG

Below is a picture of the 32 Channel Field Module.
http://web.olpdsl.net/firegod/Lights/32_ch_field_module.JPG

The connections for the SSR's are right for Sean's SSR's.

The system is capable of bi-directional communication.

For those that are interested:

Here (http://web.olpdsl.net/firegod/Lights/BOMr2b.xls) is the bill of materials

Here (http://web.olpdsl.net/firegod/Lights/32ch_r1.pcb) is the field module ExpressPCB file

Here (http://web.olpdsl.net/firegod/Lights/32ch_PC_R1.pcb) is the PC Interface ExpressPCB file

Here (http://web.olpdsl.net/firegod/Lights/FGDIMMER.ASM) is the .ASM file (for sourcing controllers, +5VDC turn on triac)

Here (http://web.olpdsl.net/firegod/Lights/FGDimmer.HEX) is the .HEX file (for sourcing controllers, +5VDC turn on triac)

Here (http://web.olpdsl.net/firegod/Lights/FGDimmer.dll) is the Vixen plugin file (place the file in the Vixen plugins directory)

Note: Be sure to get the latest version of ExpressPCB at www.ExpressPCB.com (http://www.ExpressPCB.com)

Edit: July 10, 2007 Added FGDIMMER_50Hz.HEX file
Edit: August 13, 2007
Added FG_SINK_50HZ.ZIP (ASM & HEX file)
Added FG_SINK_60HZ.ZIP (ASM & HEX file)

Mrplow123
06-03-2007, 03:30 AM
If I have not said it before, great work. This is a really great looking system, and a great concept. If I was not already commited to the 64 channel Renard design, I would probably go this route. But on the other hand, I prefere all my control boards to be in a centralized location. Less water proof enclosures.

This is a great design, and I hope it makes it's way into a few displays this year.

Keep up the great work and development.

Zane
06-03-2007, 02:19 PM
So i assume with the information from the old forum that this requires 11vac or 240 (or whatever it is in oz)vac? If not, what voltage does it use?

FireGod
06-03-2007, 07:24 PM
So i assume with the information from the old forum that this requires 11vac or 240 (or whatever it is in oz)vac? If not, what voltage does it use?

It uses a Mouser P/N 412-212104 wall transformer (found on the Bill of Materials referenced in the first post above). It is a 120VAC to 12VAC 1000mA transformer. The PC interface uses the 12VAC for the zero crossing signal and also rectifies it and regulats it down to 5VDC for the electronics.

The Bill of Material includes EVERYTHING you need except the boards, SSRs, and CAT5 cables.

FireGod
06-03-2007, 11:04 PM
Revised the picture of the PC interface to show the 2200UF capacitor and the deletion of the adjustable voltage regulator.

David Scott Caffey

P. Short
06-05-2007, 12:57 PM
David,

Is there a document somewhere that shows what the serial protocol is? You described it at one time, but I'm having trouble finding it over the jumble at picdimmer.

--

Phil

FireGod
06-05-2007, 01:42 PM
David,

Is there a document somewhere that shows what the serial protocol is? You described it at one time, but I'm having trouble finding it over the jumble at picdimmer.

--

Phil
34bytes per module:
sync char 85 dec (55h)
module number (1, 2, 3,or 4)
32bytes of data (100 dec (64h)= 0% and 200 dec (C8h)= 100%)

P. Short
06-05-2007, 01:45 PM
Thanks. Switching to that protocol would make it much easier to dim the 64-channel 595 board (except for that fact that it seems to be 101 levels, rather than 100 levels).

--

Phil

FireGod
06-05-2007, 04:15 PM
Is zero a level of dimming since there is no dimming? 220, 221 whatever it takes.

steve.leblanc
07-03-2007, 01:58 PM
Looks like you've done an excellent job!! Is there a schematic of the two boards that might be available?? (The PCB's and layouts are listed - but no schematic).

Thanks in advance!

FireGod
07-03-2007, 09:06 PM
No, sorry no schematic.

bonuts
07-21-2007, 03:42 PM
Hi. Pls excuse me if this info's posted somewhere; I couldn't find it.

Any reason why you couldn't build / use just 1 computer interface and 1 field module, then add the ohter 3 field modules later?

"The system is capable of bi-directional communication". What does this get you?

Is a pic programmer required or would you just solder everything together and you're good to go?

I built Sean B's SSR's last year with the help of pictures and board layout diagram, but don't have a lot of experience otherwise. Should I be concerned about the complexity of this?

Thanks so much!

FireGod
07-21-2007, 10:49 PM
Yes, you can build one interface and one field module. You can use any combination 1, 2 ,3 or 4 field modules.

Bi-directional communication: Later, someday, there may be firmware upgrade progamming available via software w/o a programmer. And in the future, someone may want to use a channel for an input back to Vixen to trigger some other event. Bi-directional communication is not used now but may be used in the future. Right now, when the field modules boot up, they transmit a module selection signal strength byte (four per field module) to indicate which channel they are assigned to. Vixen ignors this transmission and it could only be used for troubleshooting.

A PIC programmer is required. I have used a cheap one. See the thread:
JDM $14.99 PIC Programmer (http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=69)

It is as complex (or simple) as the Renard systems. Programming takes the same steps as the Renard, just a different I/C. The programmer has to accept a 40 pin I/C.

bonuts
07-23-2007, 12:41 AM
Thanks for addressing my questions Firegod.

Any chance you could tell me where you got your programmer ($15 + $10 shipping)? I researched and found the following but I'm not sure if it would work; the 18F4245 is not listed on the auction as supported.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Enhance-JDM-PIC-programmer-Microchip-40pin-ZIF-12F629_W0QQitemZ300132404187QQihZ020QQcategoryZ669 90QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thank you.

FireGod
07-23-2007, 01:11 AM
That is the one. It looks like they increased the price.

The 18F4525 is supported. I see that the BOM has the wrong description of the I/C but the part number is correct. I'll fix the BOM tonight.

Be sure to use Winpic 800, not Winpic. Winpic overwrites the frequency calibration settings and it will render your I/C useless.

bonuts
07-25-2007, 11:57 AM
Can anyone confirm or say with certainty that FireGod's controller will work with Sean's SSR boards? I know the SSR's ability to dim is dependent on the parts used, but I think I've confirmed I've used the right parts.

I asked Sean his opinion. "If it is working off turning on the TRIACs at different times during the AC cycle, like the Renard, then it should work."

Also, would the way the CAT-5 is wired work without any modification? I think it looks the same but I'm not convinced I'm looking at it right. Thanks.

FireGod
07-28-2007, 01:00 PM
The power jack part number is wrong. The BOM indicates 806-KLDX-0202-B but it should be 806-KLDX-0202-A

Sorry for any troubles, I am not sure how that happened.

rjanuary
08-25-2007, 11:03 AM
The part number for the 100 UF Cap, C4 is obsolete on Mouser. Do you know of a substitute for this Cap or a part number from another vender that will work?

Richard

1 C4 100 uF cap 75-515D25V100

Ordering Information
Stock: 0
On Order: ---
Factory Lead-Time: 52 Weeks (Estimated)
Pricing: ---
Important Information: This product is Obsolete.
Mouser does not stock this product. However it may still be available.
Product Info.

RavingLunatic
08-25-2007, 11:38 AM
Mouser shows 75-515D107M025AA6AE3 is the RoHS version for part number 75-515D25V100.

So it should be a perfect substitute

rjanuary
08-25-2007, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the information about the substitute Capacitor.

Do Radio Shack stores stock the heat sink, #276-1368 on the BOM? I looked it up on their web site and its $1.99, though with a six dollar shipping and handling fee. Seems pretty expensive just to ship a little heat sink.

Thanks,

Richard

lbro
08-25-2007, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the information about the substitute Capacitor.

Do Radio Shack stores stock the heat sink, #276-1368 on the BOM? I looked it up on their web site and its $1.99, though with a six dollar shipping and handling fee. Seems pretty expensive just to ship a little heat sink.

Thanks,

Richard

I think if you ship it to there store the is no cost, but check it out.
Lou

FireGod
08-25-2007, 08:40 PM
The latests BOM indicates Mouser P/N 532-590102B36G. See thread:

http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=102&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

But any resonable heat sink will work.

tconley
11-08-2007, 02:14 PM
Firegod I was just wondering if you had any more of these boards around

FireGod
11-08-2007, 10:58 PM
Firegod I was just wondering if you had any more of these boards around

Sorry, no I don't. I can hook you up with the PCBArtist files and you could use their $500 new customer discount to order a few.

tconley
11-08-2007, 11:42 PM
are you planning to do another order any time soon?

FireGod
11-09-2007, 01:08 AM
are you planning to do another order any time soon?
Nope. Like my wife of 25 years sez (my young and beauitful wife), YOYO, You're On You're Own.

It is quite late to be starting, you best get going!!!

TED
11-10-2007, 03:40 AM
Can anyone confirm or say with certainty that FireGod's controller will work with Sean's SSR boards? I know the SSR's ability to dim is dependent on the parts used, but I think I've confirmed I've used the right parts.
I can't confirm anything about what SSRs will work but I can tell you that in order to dim the optocoupler used in the SSR circuit must be a random on type such as MOC3023. If the opto will only turn on at zero cross then it will not dim.

I asked Sean his opinion. "If it is working off turning on the TRIACs at different times during the AC cycle, like the Renard, then it should work."
Huh? There is only one way to dim using a solid state relay.

Also, would the way the CAT-5 is wired work without any modification? I think it looks the same but I'm not convinced I'm looking at it right. Thanks.
Are you talking about a cat5 cable? You should see the same wire pattern on each end of the cable if it is a standard cable. (A crossover cable will have the orange and green pairs reversed on one end.)

TED

steve
08-07-2008, 04:23 PM
34bytes per module:
sync char 85 dec (55h)
module number (1, 2, 3,or 4)
32bytes of data (100 dec (64h)= 0% and 200 dec (C8h)= 100%)

Is the module number an ASCII character "1" to "4", or binary values (01h to 04h)?

So turning off all the channels on module 1 would be (in hex):

55 01 64 64 64 64 64 64 64 64 64 64 64 64 64 64 64
64 64 64 64 64 64 64 64 64 64 64 64 64 64 64 64 64

Is that right?

g2ktcf
08-08-2008, 01:07 AM
Steve,

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but this is how I understand this....

The data is transmitted via binary signals. I don't think it matters what you type into the terminal program as it will all be converted to binary signals.

The data string that you have is correct. It matches the PIC code for the hardware UART interupts that FireGod sent me.

Chris

steve
08-08-2008, 02:19 AM
Steve,

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but this is how I understand this....

The data is transmitted via binary signals. I don't think it matters what you type into the terminal program as it will all be converted to binary signals.

The data string that you have is correct. It matches the PIC code for the hardware UART interupts that FireGod sent me.

Chris

I think there's a little misunderstanding here about what you mean by "binary signals". I was just asking for clarity about what FireGod meant about sending a module number 1-4 as part of the protocol. That could either be the ASCII character "1" (which would be the binary code 31h) or a raw binary value 1 (which would be binary code 01h). Either would be consistent with the rest of the protocol and reserving 55h as the packet start byte. I'm assuming the latter case, though; I think it makes the most sense to me.

FireGod
02-05-2009, 05:49 AM
Bill of Materials (BOM) is revised in the first post.

jmksparks
02-05-2009, 08:12 PM
Not into the "Bits and baudyness" but a comment from Mr P. regarding using with 595s, Would this, could this be a REN-t REN-c replacement rolled into one? I am willing to try and test if this is an option.

WildWillie
02-05-2009, 08:34 PM
Not into the "Bits and baudyness" but a comment from Mr P. regarding using with 595s, Would this, could this be a REN-t REN-c replacement rolled into one? I am willing to try and test if this is an option.

In a one word answer, yes.

It DOES differ in architecture.

Look at the first post of this thread for layout and theory. It's more a "Hub and Spoke" setup, rather than the daisychain of the Ren's. No extra add-ons for Zero-cross, dimming, etc.

I can tell you it works like a dream. I soldered it up, wired it all together, plugged in the lights, and away it went. Even impressed my wife!!!

Contact lbro for info on the PCB's and possible parts co-op.

Bill

jmksparks
02-05-2009, 09:18 PM
Great, can not wait to get home and sort this out thanks for your response. JK.

rice66
02-11-2009, 01:14 AM
Count me in for one set., I want to diversify , going renard 16 and 24 channels for leaping arches and candy canes. I want to try every thing to see which system gives me the bigest thrill, they all do so far.
Rice66
Getting stuff ready for garage sale so I can load up my paypal again.

FireGod
02-13-2009, 11:43 PM
Bill of Materials (BOM) is revised in the first post to reflect the addition of the power LED and it's resistor.

leroylee13
02-20-2009, 07:32 PM
I used the PCB file in the first post and the current parts list but sa I am putting it together I find that the component labels on the PCB do not match the parts list. I was able to figure most of it out but the PC interface PCB shows a C1 which seems to be missing on the parts list. Did that one get eliminated? It looks to be sitting between the regulated 5v and ground - to reduce noise? 1uf OK?
Also, the header pins and shunt listed in the parts listing are the same part number and I don't see a place for them on the Field module PCB. What are they for and where do they go?

FireGod
02-20-2009, 11:28 PM
I used the PCB file in the first post and the current parts list but sa I am putting it together I find that the component labels on the PCB do not match the parts list. I was able to figure most of it out but the PC interface PCB shows a C1 which seems to be missing on the parts list. Did that one get eliminated? It looks to be sitting between the regulated 5v and ground - to reduce noise? 1uf OK?
Also, the header pins and shunt listed in the parts listing are the same part number and I don't see a place for them on the Field module PCB. What are they for and where do they go?
1 uF is OK for noise reduction.

On the PCB there are two sets of 4 holes for the header pins. Beside one set are numbers 1 and 2. Beside the other set are numbers 3 and 4.

If you need any further information, please feel free to PM me.

FireGod
02-20-2009, 11:42 PM
During the last revision I guess the parts got duplicated. It has been corrected and the new revision is BOM2b.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

FireGod
02-20-2009, 11:44 PM
I used the PCB file in the first post and the current parts list but sa I am putting it together I find that the component labels on the PCB do not match the parts list.

When I get the time, I'll revise the Express PCB files and post the Advanced Circuit files so that the part numbers are the same.

thomw81
11-07-2011, 03:17 PM
Can someone post the link to Sean's SSR build page? Thanks for the help and I'm ready to build this system and see how it works! :cool2:

kipk12
11-07-2011, 09:27 PM
Can someone post the link to Sean's SSR build page? Thanks for the help and I'm ready to build this system and see how it works! :cool2:

So, I assume you are referring to Sean's generic SSR description (http://computerchristmas.com/?link=how_to&HowToId=68)?

There are quite a few SSR solutions (http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Solid_State_Relays) that can be made to work with the Firegod system. Many of them require a change in the value of the optocoupler bias resistor to be compatible