PDA

View Full Version : Motor/pulleys for Ferris wheel

Christmasnut
09-10-2015, 09:23 PM
Good evening.

I am really confused. This is my first time at animation and I have received lots of good replys. Thanks to all.

My confusion is that I have built this 8 ft Ferris wheel. It has a 1 1/4 inch metal conduit shaft on the wheel and I have been advised to run it with a wiper motor.

The problem that I am having is that if I use a sprocket I cannot find one with a bore of 6 millimeters for the wiper shaft. The same is true for a v belt pulley.

I have called numerous companies and have been told no 6 mm bore pulley or sprocket exists.

I guess I am a little slow at figuring this out.

Someone told me to use a low rpm gear motor. Is that ac or dc?

This is for a community display and I am completely stumped. Help would be appreciated

Christmasnut
William

bobbyb
09-11-2015, 07:31 AM
Hi William - I don't have a good answer but recently came across some Youtubes for "Axworthy Ghosts". These are Halloween props that use AC motors from kitchen mixers and similar devices. You can just search that term and see what they have done. Bob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toozie21
09-11-2015, 07:51 AM
In the past I have bought some cheapish AC motors that run at about 5RPM, I would try to look around on there for that.

I am a little confused with your sprocket issue though. So there is a shaft on your ferris wheel that is 1 1/4" diameter, right? So you need to find a sprocket that fits on there, right? Then you need a sprocket that fits onto whatever motor you end up with (which it sounds like you don't have yet). Where are you coming up with needing a bore of 6mm (which is pretty close to 1/4" btw, maybe look into those)?

Lastly, have you looked into running roller chain instead of a v-belt?

tommy
09-11-2015, 10:06 AM
I think I'd go with something like a roller chain and sprocket if I were you. Belts tend to stretch and might slip. Try looking at this place: http://www.surpluscenter.com/default.aspx# They have lots of roller chain sprockets and motors.

toozie21
09-11-2015, 10:13 AM
I think I'd go with something like a roller chain and sprocket if I were you. Belts tend to stretch and might slip. Try looking at this place: http://www.surpluscenter.com/default.aspx# They have lots of roller chain sprockets and motors.
That is who I've bought stuff off of in the past. The have great prices and are very helpful.

Skunberg
09-11-2015, 01:47 PM
Similar situation with my axworthy. I made a belt from a bicycle inner tube. Ran it right on the motor shafts to a bicycle wheel. Worked good.

Christmasnut
09-12-2015, 05:58 PM
Thank you all for your help. I now have some good ideas thanks to you.

I was trying to run the Ferris wheel on a wiper motor that's why 6 mm for the shaft of the motor.

I am not that familiar with motors. Looked on surplus and really can't decide the best one. Don't want it to turn to fast so I guess I need about 8-10 rpms. Is a gear motor the best?

Thanks a

Christmasnut
William

toozie21
09-12-2015, 06:04 PM
Thank you all for your help. I now have some good ideas thanks to you.

I was trying to run the Ferris wheel on a wiper motor that's why 6 mm for the shaft of the motor.

I am not that familiar with motors. Looked on surplus and really can't decide the best one. Don't want it to turn to fast so I guess I need about 8-10 rpms. Is a gear motor the best?

Thanks a

Christmasnut
William
On thing to remember is that if you go with a sprocket and roller chain approach, you could buy a couple addition sprockets of different tooth counts and slow down the more more if need be.

Short and badly typed since written from my phone...

DanoNJ
09-13-2015, 09:26 AM
I'm not following the dimensions of the hub on the sprocket, but you could, and I have done this in the past, is drill out the hub and tap it with the needed threads. If the inside dia is too large, attach a small piece of flat stock and drill / tap that. I may even get away with using a thin piece of ply or luan and put that on the wiper motor.

strrchristmas
09-20-2015, 03:16 PM
Christmasnut,

Finding the proper size sprocket for the wiper motor is tricky. Advice on Surplus Center is good. They have a lot of stuff. You may have to make your own sprocket for the wiper motor. Take the wiper motor "arm" off and find a sprocket with a smaller hole. I suggest you file the sprocket hole to match the "arm" hole. It should fit. Keep in mind clearances between the sprocket and motor housing.
There are some good web sites on line for calculating speed ratios. Depending on how you wire your wiper motor, you will have a high and low speed. Start with how many RPM you want you wheel to turn and work backward to the motor rpm. Finally, you can fine tune the speed by varying the voltage to the wiper motor.
Remember to keep the wheel balanced with your "riders". We bought two of each stuffed animal and place them directly opposite of each other. We did the same with our Ski Lift.
Wiper motors (not all) are mostly water tight but a little protection will help.
Here are some ideas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDs1BcZ7HEM

Good Luck,
Terry

Christmasnut
09-21-2015, 01:44 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I think the wiper motor will probably work. I made the wheel with an axle of 1 inch pic (outside diameter of 1 5/16). Already drilled hole in hubs and now am struggling with how to attach sprocket to the pvc axle. maybe bore a hole through a pic end cap, attach a bolt and nut and then attach sprocket ?

Thanks to all

Christmasnut
William