PDA

View Full Version : Preliminary agenda

lbro
04-22-2008, 10:01 AM
Take a look, see if You would like to add anything and let me know if you are planning to attend on one of the two days. After a week or so, I will start to put it into some order for which day that each item will be done. If you have something that you would like to show in the below titles, I will add your name.
Send me a PM if you would like to contribute.

Leaping Arches winder – Jeffmill

Intro to DMX – Lightsbygreg

Controller Boards – Macrosill, Waynej, Crazylightslady, Wbuehler

Home etching – WayneJ

Merry Christmas Sign – Thebiggkm

Epoxy star – Wbuehler

LED’s – Crazylightslady – Macrosill

Light Cannons – Macrosill – Downtown

LCD FM Transmitter – Thebiggkm

Vixen Presentation – Macrosill

LEDtriks - Ronp

Making strobes with a 595 and some LED's - anyone interested?

Yard Display Items – everyone that wants to show something
Window frames
Light columns
Megatree
Yard sign
Lighted arch
Mini trees
Candy cane garland
Something unique to your display!

Swap time – this is time that we can set aside for people to sell/trade/giveaway anything they no longer need or pick up something that they could use.

Lou

Ronp
04-22-2008, 07:12 PM
I should setup the ledtriks again....maybe ill bring a few different panels..

lbro
04-23-2008, 08:28 AM
I should setup the ledtriks again....maybe ill bring a few different panels..

You're in Ron! and if I think of anything else, you're doing that too!

Macrosill
04-23-2008, 08:52 AM
Maybe Ron can write an article for the newsletter about the Mini?

Ron,
Somehow, somewhere, sooner or later I will get you to write something! :)

lbro
04-23-2008, 09:24 AM
Maybe Ron can write an article for the newsletter about the Mini?

Ron,
Somehow, somewhere, sooner or later I will get you to write something! :)

That is a great idea! Greg said it was okay to put something in the newsletter. So Ron, you're in. Glad I thought of this!:-)

Jeff Millard
04-23-2008, 10:33 PM
Glad I thought of this!:-)

Hey! I thought that was my idea!
:cool:
Jeff

klanger
04-24-2008, 07:11 AM
That sounds like a great agenda, wish I could make it:(and meet all the great people that make this place what it is, home for us blinky blinkers.

Kev

lbro
04-24-2008, 04:31 PM
wish I could make it:(
Kev

comeon Kev-

Can't you just sneek away for a real llooonnnggg weekend?

We won't tell anyone.

LightsByGreg
04-24-2008, 09:27 PM
Kev, I'm only a few hours away....

lbro
05-09-2008, 10:51 AM
Well, I think it has been decided that the mini will be a free flowing format. What we will use the agenda list is for what peple are planning to bring/talk about. If you don't see something on the list and would like to add something or see something, I will put it on there.

lbro
08-17-2008, 06:10 PM
Well, the mini was fun, and the format was free flowing. Now the reviews are in and people seemed to have missed things being shown/discussed. I think we should plan the next one to be a little more scheduled. Not written in stone, but maybe more like DIY controllers in the morning, L-O-R & AL at noon, display items later in the day, fit software in there somewhere.

What are the thoughts?

Wayne J
08-17-2008, 07:50 PM
I agree. A little more structure is needed, so we can learn / share more. :)

Jeff Millard
08-23-2008, 07:32 PM
I've been thinking that Lou's original or venue idea to have it at a some type of meeting hall in a hotel or something might not be a bad idea too. Since we have folks coming from up and down the east coast, the Philly airport area might really be better for most people. What do you folks think? I'd be willing to toss in a pretty penny if we could make it more buisness like. Heck the Pukenet Crudmus thingy is several hundred dollars. (Please forgive my disrespect, we all have our little skeletons and right now I'm on Doctor prescribed depressants...) With our Vendor recognition and their acceptance of us as a force to be reconed with, they might start to commit to attend rather than just sending us some product to give away or coming as a light enthusiast. That might help to thicken up the agenda too.

WHAT DO WE CALL IT? We've never settled that. There are some who don't care for the "mini" moniker, me included. There should be a more official title. I'd give you all the shirt off my back, But I'd like you to push away from calling it the "Philly mini" Don't get me wrong, I just think the DIYC forum deserves something a little more official. ...and I did get PM's from a couple folks that attended for the LOR content and probably won't be back for another mini with heavy DIY content. If we give birth to a more DIY related community I might consider having a little annual something strictly about LOR for the "others"

Thoughts?

Jeff

LightsByGreg
08-23-2008, 08:58 PM
Maybe we should call it the Philly Area Maxi?

lbro
08-23-2008, 11:20 PM
nice greg!

Jeffrey
08-24-2008, 10:28 AM
I've been thinking that Lou's original or venue idea to have it at a some type of meeting hall in a hotel or something might not be a bad idea too. Since we have folks coming from up and down the east coast, the Philly airport area might really be better for most people. What do you folks think? I'd be willing to toss in a pretty penny if we could make it more buisness like. Heck the Pukenet Crudmus thingy is several hundred dollars. (Please forgive my disrespect, we all have our little skeletons and right now I'm on Doctor prescribed depressants...)

Thoughts?

Jeff

I think something a little more polished would be well worth it. My son and I stopped in 3 times on Saturday and it was more like a reunion of friends than a show. (nothing wrong with that, but it seemed like it was going to be "show-like" from all the pre-posts)

Having tables setup with different gear running different types of displays would have been nice. Yes, there were a few tables of stuff under the tent, but it was mostly just thrown on a table and left(at least the times we were there).

I helped run a few video game shows in Philly some years ago and we would have displays of all the various classic games with little descriptions of each, made knowing what you are looking at easy. ;) We also had all the main people involved with the show have name tags with what part of the show they were involved with. (example: Mine read "Jeff (from NY)" and then "Handheld/Arcade Guy" since I am Jeff from NY, and I was big time into Handheld video games and Arcade games) :) The name tags were nothing fancy(we used a color printer for them), but we had them in plastic holders hanging around our necks. They looked very nice and were cheap to make.

Also, having a semi-set timetable would be a big plus. I didn't want to bore my 8 year old son to death so we would just pop in and out to see what was going on... without some sort of schedule, that didn't work out so well. ;)

And I wasn't going to mention it here, but also having a drawing where the person picking the names out of the hat didn't look at them and put certain names back in would be a plus. My son saw his name drawn twice and put back in(I saw it the second time). Then in the end when it was called, it was called like "who the heck is this person?". (see, more like a friendly reunion than an actual show)

And Jeff, LOR stuff would be great for us noobs who feel comfortable starting with controllers already built(or available in complete kits). BUT, I really think if the DIY stuff was setup in an organized way and actually described, some of us more geeky folks would be more than willing to get our feet wet. I know the whole DIY thing is... well... do it YOURSELF... but it's nice to get descriptions and helpful hints from people who have "been there, done that". ;) And at a show, being able to see it and actually talk to people is a huge plus.

Please don't take this the wrong way anybody, I am not trying to bash the show at all, just trying to put out some ideas for the next time around.

lbro
08-24-2008, 04:44 PM
NO offence, just need to decide the direction to take it.

kmc123
08-24-2008, 07:01 PM
I like the Maxi name, but then the hosts house would be the "Maxi Pad"...
So I have to scratch it off the list of possibilities :)

rstehle
08-24-2008, 07:22 PM
i like the maxi name, but then the hosts house would be the "maxi pad"..

rofl.......

lbro
08-24-2008, 08:51 PM
i like the maxi name, but then the hosts house would be the "maxi pad"...
So i have to scratch it off the list of possibilities :)

rotflmao.....................

Macrosill
08-24-2008, 10:44 PM
Thats funny Kevin!
LOL