PDA

View Full Version : Which way to go? Stepper motor moving hands playing piano

johnpdo
01-06-2014, 12:33 AM
Going to build a skeleton playing an organ. Thinking of using stepper motors to move the hands on the keys. I've seen this done here, and at the halloween forum, but just not sure where to start.
What I have so far....an old pump organ. I'm taking the guts out now. I've seen it done with a rail system, and pulleys like a dot-matrix printer. I'm thinking that is the way to go.
My questions:
1. What stepper motor to get. I need one for each hand so they are independent, and would be nice if they weren't noisy.
2. What controller do I attach the step motor to, and how do I attach it
3. I'm planning on using a miniRenServoxb to run some servos for the skull, can that be used for the stepper motor?
4. Is there a plugin for Vixen? or a way to sequence it when I'm done?
5. Is there a tutorial I just don't know about? I'm not a programmer, so can't start completely from scratch.

Any help would be great!
John

johnpdo
01-08-2014, 10:37 PM
Trying this with a different title ^^^
Come on, 16,000 on this forum.....surely someone knows the best way to do this......

corytcline
01-08-2014, 11:32 PM
Maybe an idea or two will come to ya from this
http://youtu.be/ZYKoNi48m9o

johnpdo
01-08-2014, 11:49 PM
Thanks Cory, I think an xbee Arduino shield may do it. I am at the beginning of learning how to do this. I ordered by 1st Arduino Uno and a couple of stepper motors. My real worry was not being able to do Vixen to the Arduino, but it sounds like I can. Thanks again!

corytcline
01-13-2014, 10:18 PM
Thanks Cory, I think an xbee Arduino shield may do it. I am at the beginning of learning how to do this. I ordered by 1st Arduino Uno and a couple of stepper motors. My real worry was not being able to do Vixen to the Arduino, but it sounds like I can. Thanks again!

No problem I had just got done doing a search on ardunio and watched that video right before I read your thread!